Colorado Newbie

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Fips Farm
    Participant

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all the information posted here. It has been very helpful and appreciated.

My wife and I are slowly working towards a more fulfilling lifestyle and sustainable homestead on 70 acres at 6900′. Our area presents its own challenges with temps down to -28F, high winds, and low rainfall. On the other hand, we have been blessed with an abundance of knowledgeable friends and neighbors who have shared their years of experience with us.

We are using tractors/machinery currently for tillage, harvest, and processing, but are on track to start a large size donkey program this year. Waiting on the loose hay barn.

Cheers,

Kevin & Sonja

Done: Hatcher winter wheat crops.
    Painted Mountain corn crops.
    Grain milling.
    Cattle.
    Chickens.
    Baled hay.

To Do: Loose hay barn.
    Loose hay program.
    Draft donkey program.
    Small scale pig program.
    Family milk cow program.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I recently built a new hay barn. I don’t make loose hay but someone else could. I built a local Amish style barn built for loose hay. I hope this link works.
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN6PUVgz5OGCZ0C3Erv9D3ZfW_TA_Mg6TYGQllbzB9M_Ltn-MOYzghc4m1YPD8OnQ?key=aGU2Q2RqOU5CUUsyMUlCU0w4MEFFbUhXY29ENkJn

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Donn Hewes.
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Welcome to the network, where do you live in Colorado?

J-L
    Participant

I’m in southwestern Wyoming at 7000′. Growing much of anything is a challenge with this short growing season. -38 here this winter, have seen -52.

Donkey’s will be interesting. Hope you post some pictures.

Fips Farm
    Participant

My apologies for taking so long to reply, I don’t get the time on the internet I would like. My hobby of paying the bills sure seems to take up more time than I thought it would when I was young 🙂

Donn, the pictures were wonderful. The Shawver truss system was exactly what I was thinking of using, too. If you have time, I have a million questions. How wide and tall is your barn? Is your framing lumber 2″ actual? What size fastenners did you use to assemble the bents? How far apart are the bents spaced?

Jared, I’m just north of Colorado Springs. About 15 minutes drive from the nearest traffic light at 65 mph. It’s a rapidly eroding agricultural area. There are still winter wheat and beef cattle operations, but the small family diaries are gone now.

JL, have you considered Hatcher winter wheat and Painted Mountain corn? Hatcher is a semi-dwarf hard red wheat, but my wife does a great job baking European style breads and making pastas with it. It does not get the same height for me as commercially grown which is fine for me given our high winds and quick drying harvest conditions. Helps prevent lodging, IMHO. I also get significantly lower yields due to broadcasting instead of drilling.

I could not say enough good things about Painted Mountain corn. Very low yield for me, but considering it’s a dry land flour corn, I love it. Makes Jiffy brand corn bread taste like spray foam insulation. Chickens love it, too*. Mills easily for cracked corn, but produces a lot of fines. It is flour corn after all 🙂

* Not much of an endorsement. Chickens pretty much love ANY corn.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.