comparing two forecarts and a mishap

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Fabrication comparing two forecarts and a mishap

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Yesterday a young mule and a horse took one of my forecarts with a small broadcast seeder for an unintended spin. Luckily we were in a big field (40 acres) as they went for a good long run before looping around and heading back. After a little circling; as one line was wrapped around the axle of the spinner, they stopped and I was able to pick up the lines and finished what I was doing. Amazingly the spinner stayed upright and survived the wild ride.

Just the day before I had told my wife that mule is building up for a bolt. I could feel it coming. Now, I had just finished frost seeding 15 acres with two kinds of clover. We had worked for close to three hours and I was happy with her work. She is a little slow and “off the bit”, but it seems she is slowly improving. I had filled the seeder twice and each time I had been very careful placing the team facing a hedge row and away from home. Keeping the lines with in reach, I was able to mix seeds and inoculants and pour them into the little seeder. When I was all done I wanted to stop and pick up the half bags of seed and a rubber tub and a galvanized tub.

I thought about turning to face north again, but decided I would work with the lines in my hand instead. Just as I had both tubs in one hand and the lines in the other the young mule decided this was a good time to go. I tried to steer them and stop them for a moment but then I slipped and dropped the tubs and you get the picture.

To make a long story short, I didn’t really write all this for input on mule behavior or training. While I would gladly except any thoughts on these topics, my plans for her seem pretty straight forward; keeping working her, experiment with bitting her down, be careful, and think about who else I will let drive her.

The point I wanted to make was about two different forecarts (see photos). The one I was using is the old jalopy with the bus seat. Comfy for working in the fields, but a hacked together frame with a huge trip hazard when you try to get on or off. Unfortunately I have lived with this cart for so long I am used to it. Turns out, it impossible to get on while it is moving. Probably impossible to get on with out a free hand also. I also have a new home made forecart that features the low, easy entry of the Barden cart. Had I been using that yesterday I would have walked right on.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    dominiquer60

Emily Langer and I went out to dinner last night and this was one of our topics of discussion. I really want to be able to do more single work and I don’t want to just put shafts on a forecart, because I don’t care for having to get between the cart and an implement, especially if something like your scenario were in progress. Having worked around a Barden cart and Sam’s log arch, I really appreciate the ease of safely getting on and off of these vehicles.

I have saved a few pennies here in Florida and I think it is time to invest in hiring a good fabricator and a set of Barden plans. I know what you are thinking, I have a great fabricator at home, but if I want a cart, I know I have to hire it out myself, otherwise it will never happen 😉

I have been told the tough animals make the best animals if you stick with them. Best wishes with her.

Erika

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

My new log arch is a hybrid design but I made sure that it was something that I could step onto easy based on everyones advice here. We had a good solid logging day last weekend and in many different situations I stepped on and off of the back without even thinking about it. I credit that feature to our success for the day, and the fact that the horses stood amazingly 😉

I will try to remember to get some pictures on here to show how even with a 30inch arch you can step on and off.

Donn, your young mule training stories make me want to come hang out on your farm to watch some of the shananigans, sounds like some fun for a guy who likes a challenge!!!

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Jared, Come on out, but be warned. no one gets to “just watch!”. D

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.