Composting Andy – A Percheron Gelding

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Farming Composting Andy – A Percheron Gelding

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

This topic may not be for everyone, but I recently got a message asking me about my experience composting a draft horse and how well it worked. You can see pictures of composting Andy here. Having sent one horse to the rendering plant three winters ago, I was very interested in finding an alternative. Regardless of how or where your horse dies you will likely have to move it. There is nothing pleasant or easy about dragging such a large animal. I have yet to use a team to do it, but probably will eventually. Digging in unfinished compost is easy; and like digging a grave, is a chance to reflect. It takes an hour or two to make an opening, put him in it with a tractor pushing, and to fill it back in. I did the digging by hand with a pitch fork and my wife helped me. This work is much more satisfying than loading him on a truck with a winch.

There are instructions on the web for composting whole cows, and the essential part is ensuring there is enough carbon material to complete the task. They recommend at least two feet of straw bedding or wood chips under the animal. The same above.

Andy died in Mid-April and I didn’t disturb the pile until mid July. He was pretty much gone at that time, but I removed a few bones to keep and turned the pile, mixing some more bedding and adding some on top. I use a tractor bucket to turn my compost piles. In two more months it was finished compost and Andy was gone. Andy was a great horse and one of my first teachers. I had him for about ten years. If you look at the album to the left of “composting Andy” called “horses and mules” that first picture is me sitting on Andy.

About a month ago I lost a mule and it has received the same final resting place. Donn

jen judkins
    Participant

Well, that certainly blew the steam out of my spring clean up thread….yuck!

dominiquer60

Donn,
    I think that composting anything is a good idea. On the farm that I used to live on, we composted chicken offal, pig parts, and anything that unexpectedly died. It is a great way to recycle nutrients and keep them on the farm. I would love the option for myself someday, it just makes sense.

Erika

Jean
    Participant

I picked up a brochure on how to compost animals on the farm at a farm show in Barre VT a couple of weeks ago. Not a happy thought, but sure beats a lot of other options. I will keep it filed until the day I need it.

bruha6
    Participant

wow! i’m amazed at how fast that happens. i’m guessing no noticeable smell as long as it’s kept covered in matter? totally legal? he was a handsome boy!

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

It is legal as far as I know. I never asked anyone. No smell. Just like a regular compost pile. Donn

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

I practice this idea, myself, with all that die here on my farm… it’s actually a part of my spiritual beliefs –> to respect something, I must honor it – I do so by returning it to the Earth Mother that gave it life, in a way that it can nourish more life, as it was nourished in life… the cycle continues.
    I plan to be part of this cycle – I plan on becoming a part of MoonShadow Farm in the most literal sense of the phrase.

Um, just not in the near future, if I have my way. 😉

jen judkins
    Participant

Doesn’t burying a body do the same thing…return the nutrients to the earth? I realize burial is illegal in some areas, so I guess composting is the way to go, it just makes me alittle queazy. Guess I’ve got a long way to go in regards to being a ‘real’ farmer:eek:

Howie
    Participant

There is a farm near here where the compost all their dead animals.
    They do about a dozen cows a year plus right now there are about 3 or 4 bull calves a week.

near horse
    Participant

Howie,

With 3 or 4 bull calves composted per week, are you saying that the local farm/dairy you mention in your post is “knocking bull calves in the head” and composting them because calf prices are so low? I know some dairies did that in the past but that’s an incredible waste:mad:. If they believe that bull calves are what’s hurting their dairy’s profitibility, then they need to get into another line of work.

I did originally want to comment on Andy. I agree that composting is a good way of dealing with animal carcasses and we do that w/ any animals that we lose at our place as well. That said, I haven’t had to deal w/ anything close to my heart – yet. And I dread the day.

Burying might actually slow the process down if it reduces the amount of oxygen getting to the carcass.

Although it’s a little late –

Condolences to you on your loss Donn.
    “Goodbye Andy”.

jen judkins
    Participant

So tonight as I was getting ready for our ‘storm’, I came across the carcass of a feral cat that died earlier this winter in our garage. I was waiting till spring to bury her, but this thread has ‘encouraged’ me to consider composting her. So into the compost pile she goes. How long would you think a small cat would take to fully compost? I don’t want to scare my neighbors who enjoy my composted manure…

Thanks for starting this thread, Donn. Though I had some initial revulsion, I now find the concept very appealing…though it is totally linked with a complete dread of losing one of my beloved horses.

dominiquer60

Good job Jen, it can be hard to think about, but we are all perishable. I heard a great quote this summer, I wish that I remember who said it, “Plan on living for a hundred years but be prepared to die any minute.” So it is good to imagine the animals living to their fullest, but keep the pile hot just in case the unforeseen happens. I guess the same goes for anyone, my mother doesn’t want to die anytime soon, but my name is on her bank account and her will is up to date, because you just never know. I can’t think of a better way to honor the dead than composting, completing the nutrient cycle is a very powerful and nontoxic way of returning the dead to the earth. Near horse correct about burying, without oxygen decomposition takes much longer. Without enough carbon material the nutrients are leached into the ground in potentially harmful/wasteful concentrations, the carbon material helps capture the nitrogen and makes for a mellower finished product that is safe to use.

Erika

Howie
    Participant

If you send a bull calf to the commissions sale you generally get a bill instead of a check. They do not bring enough to pay the sale costs. Trucking, commission, advertising and what have you. He sent three of them a couple weeks ago and got a bill for $28 and something.:mad:

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Jennifer ~ You define whether you are a “real” farmer, as you put it… no one else can, should, or should be allowed to, define you. Ray Holes, who owns the 8000+ head of goats hereabouts, loves chevon (goat meat) but just cannot eat one that came from his own herd(s) –> that’s one from a herd of eight thousand!! But I’m thinking he’s probably considered by about anyone to be a “real” goat rancher. To me, composting just continues the cycle of life in a wholesome manner… the nutrients feed the plants that feed the animal that replaces the dead one.
    About your question on the cat carcass = I had 2 full-grown rabbits die within the same week right after Christmas, and we turned the huge compost pile yesterday – only saw one recognizable bone… and the pile wasn’t very hot, in fact was getting a bit “stale” (anaerobic from not being turned sooner), which slows the process down. Just try to ascertain that the cat didn’t die of any (possibly communicable) disease, unless you get it down into the pile with some really hot temps for extended time.
    As you might notice, I’m “into” compost… I haven’t bought any fertilizer in the last 2 years – or needed to. I take every bit of bedding, weeds & manure I can get (11 goats, 2 large mules, 16 rabbits, the landlord’s mom’s 20 chickens) & wish I had more. In fact, it’s why I don’t mind it when anyone gives me any ‘BS’ –> I just compost that, too! If I had any politicians living nearby, I could probably triple my yield! 😀

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Um, as a quasi-legal disclaimer to my last message;
    “This is NOT an endorsement or reccomendation as a solution to in-laws and/or the “ex-” :p
    {No matter how full of sh** they might be}

Just don’t do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.