Concern for the DAPNet forum’s future?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Off Topic Discussion Concern for the DAPNet forum’s future?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    near horse
    Participant

I’m wondering if others here are concerned that we, DAPNet, may have hurt ourselves in the development of our DAPNet Facebook page.

More than one person has contacted me about the reduction in activity here and whether or not it’s associated with increasing use of our FB page. I admit that I’m less active here and do post on FB a lot (probably too much) and while it’s easy and fun to post there, I find it harder to see/find previous posts/discussion there.

Anyway, I’d like to hear if others feel this way and how we can keep the forum here active and viable. In the earliest days of DAPNet, the forum here was the number one component that our membership wanted to maintain. I hope that’s still the case.

Big Horses
    Participant

I didn’t know there is a facebook page…. haha…shows ya how close I pay attention!

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I did not know we have a facebook page.

Andy Carson

I never post on the FB page either. I never really got into FB much anyway… I agree it is hard to have a detailed discussion there and harder to search. Has the activity here really reduced? I guess I hadn’t noticed.

facebook?
    definitely, positively off-limits for me
    would hate to loose this forum the way it is 🙁

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I thought it was getting busier. I just checked, 16 active threads today, not sure how many posts. Seems like everytime I check there are 50-70 logged in. We have more than 3000 members, 570+ are considered active. I don’t understand Facebook.

Robin
    Participant

I do not go on Facebook. Never have and do not intend to. I get my info from this site or simular others.
    Guess I am too old to keep up with the hi-tech stuff.
    Robin

jen judkins
    Participant

Tim is right. Activity here has not dwindled in the least. Activity on our Facebook group has increased recently, but it does not appear to be affecting the conversation here. I should know as I monitor both sites as well as the main DAPNet website. We are trying to develop a NETWORK, after all and that will mean many different resources for people to use.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I see no advantage to being on facebook at least for me, if someone can justifiy it for them go for it.
    What ever rows your boat,I didn`t see any reduced activity, and I enjoy this forum the way it is

nihiljohn
    Participant

I’ll speak for me, for I know it to be the truth. I haven’t been here in a while. The weather has been so nice in Michigan, I havent been on the computer a lot. I have no post of late but do have some of next years firwood cut and 40 loads of manure hauled. Now I gotta go find DAP on facebook,

near horse
    Participant

I wasn’t trying to get you riled up Jen but as I said, I was contacted by a couple of members who use both FB and this forum and expressed their concern so I thought I’d ask. That’s all, nothing more.

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

I use both this site and an oxen related facebook page almost daily. I come here first and then if I have time I go to the facebook page to see photos or other less detailed information. I don’t think I will look up DAP on facebook because this is a more important forum for information for me. I use facebook and our farm definitely benefits from it but I always feel like I am wasting my time there. Here I learn something every single day. There is a place for both in the world of information.

jen judkins
    Participant

@near horse 33677 wrote:

I wasn’t trying to get you riled up Jen but as I said, I was contacted by a couple of members who use both FB and this forum and expressed their concern so I thought I’d ask. That’s all, nothing more.

No one is ‘riled’, Geoff. Happy to hear any and all suggestions.

jac
    Participant

To be fair I have to admit to being one of the folks who spoke with Geoff.. but as is the usual with me , I turn on the puter today and it is busier than ever :-)!!! I guess I wasnt logging in here at the right times and I certainly never want to loose this forum …. John

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

You have to realize that at any one time less than 10% of the folks on DAPNet actually logged on with a DAPNet ID, and probably 90% of the discussion is carried by 10% of the active members. As the weather improves we will be at our computer less and less. So I guess the folks who contribute to the discussion determine how active the discussion is.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.