Conformation

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Plowboy
    Participant

Often people overlook a horses short comings because of color, breed etc. When looking for a horse to work we look for a short legged, deep bodied broad horse with a short back. One old timer told me once , “Those short bodied short legged horses are tough, rugged and easy keepers”. Another old timer told me while looking at a real tall team of Belgians, “See all the daylight under that team? It takes alot of money to keep that there”. I believe that they were both right.
    Our horses are mostly between 16 and 17 hands, deep bodied, broad in the chest with a nice square walk. I am also a stickler for good pasterns which is the first thing I look at when looking at horses. Horses with bad pasterns are prone to arthritis and ring bone.
    What does everyone else look for?

Carl Russell

Sounds about right, 16.2 1700 lbs, deep chest, although the Belgians that I have are a little longer bodied. I like to see the front feet solidly on the ground, with good snap with each step. Pasterns parallel. A good crested neck with prominent shoulder. I also like to see a soft eye in a well proportioned head. I’m not offended by a Roman nose, but I like to see a high spin-curl, to top it off. Carl

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.