Conservation tillage in Uganda with oxen

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Oxen Conservation tillage in Uganda with oxen

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Andy Carson

@Tim Harrigan 40523 wrote:

fetching water is women’s work

I suppose a point could be made that if men/oxen hauled large quantities of water less often, this could free the women up to do other chores/things that the men would appreciate. Not sure what that is, but I bet there is something. I bet the women would come up with an idea of what to do if that meant they didn’t have to haul water anymore… Not trying to remake the culture, but it seems like heavy work should be done by heavy people/critters.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Seems logical, but US logic is probably not the same as Ugandan logic.

Andy Carson

Agreed. You probably have to pick what to focus on. I do think that choosing to focus on low stress handling techniques was the best first choice of lessons. I suppose it is best to let this “soak in” before you teach something else that might get overwhelming or culturally challenging… Did the group you were working with seem ready and excited to learn more? Did they feel culturally challenged already? Did you get a feel for that at all?

Vicki
    Participant

Hi Tim.  I have been away from the computer and forums for awhile.   It’s great you worked in Uganda. Where were you in Uganda?  Did you work with Acholi people, besides Boniface and Obali being Acholi, or were you farther south or west?

I have some observations and experiences about gender roles and working oxen, in the north, formerly war zone.   It was fantastic to be there working as a woman, with women as well as men.  The primary value I think our Tillers/PeaceHarvest work did was to introduce low-stress training and handling, and improved yoke design.  I saw a  victims of local ox “training” that would bring tears to one’s eyes. 

In the north, fetching water seemed to be child’s work even more than women’s.  Collecting firewood is women’s domain, and oxen–even calves–can really help in that.  Interesting that traditionally in the north, the heavy tillage is traditionally done by the men, with oxen plowing; though afterwards the cultivation, harvesting, and collecting is done by women.   We hope to see greater adoption of ox power by women for cultivation and harvest, and for water and firewood collection.   A couple widows we know developed their own  entreprenuerships just after the war, using carts with oxen and donkeys, and it greatly improved their fortunes for their families.  Very wonderful stuff!

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.