Converting walking gang plow

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Fabrication Converting walking gang plow

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Russel
    Participant

Hi everyone

Is it possible to convert a walking gang plow to a riding one? Do you have to add a third wheel at the back? Where would be the best place to put the seat?

Thanks
    Russel

goodcompanion
    Participant

I don’t see why this couldn’t be done, not knowing the particulars of your plow. I’ve seen tractor-drawn gang trailer plows converted and I’m imagining this would be pretty similar?

The adaptations I’ve seen involve an expanded mesh floor on a raised platform which is bolted or maybe welded to the plow frame. The seat and such attach to this platform. I’m assuming the left and right wheels already have levers to raise and lower the plow? You may need to reconfigure them so as to be workable from the seat.

You will probably want that third wheel too, though you might be able to skid around okay without it.

colttrainer
    Participant

Russel
    lookng through lynn milers book i seen a seat & rear wheel attachment that was used on some walking plows to convert to a riding plow.
    Al

Russel
    Participant

I dont have any plows with third wheels, they and riding plows were very uncommon in South Africa, so I dont know how the setting works when you are plowing. Do you just attach the wheel when going to and from the land or does it have to have its own lever to set the height?

goodcompanion
    Participant

@Russel 24091 wrote:

I dont have any plows with third wheels, they and riding plows were very uncommon in South Africa, so I dont know how the setting works when you are plowing. Do you just attach the wheel when going to and from the land or does it have to have its own lever to set the height?

Basically the rear wheel serves as an extension of the heel of the plow, and is often set at an angle so that it rolls right in the joint where the wall of the land and the floor of the furrow meet. When your other two wheels are raised, the plow(s) travel clear of the ground (since you’ve lifted two points on the triangle). When your plows are engaged, then the wheel just travels along that joint, reducing friction somewhat but not enough to interfere with the action of the plow. This wheel, unlike the furrow and landside wheels, is not adjusted or adjustable.

I would go take a picture but it is freakin’ cold outside….

Russel
    Participant

Thanks Eric, I understand how it work now

goodcompanion
    Participant

Too bad shipping isn’t cheaper, three-wheel trailer plows are as common as dirt around here and many are good candidates for draft riding plow conversion.

Russel
    Participant

Hi again

The reason riding plows arent common is because oxen were used and you needed to be able to walk forward and smack any lazy ones with those huge ox whips. My grandfather was telling me that one of his workers in the 50s used to be so good with an ox whip that he could hit a lazy ox right at the front of the 12 ox hitch from the back. He also said he could hit swallows out the sky with it. Impressive stuff.

I was just wondering whether you could drive horses from the side of the plow? Or could you walk in the furrow?

dominiquer60

I know an older gentleman that uses a riding plow with a single bottom. He prefers to walk and drive them from next to or behind the plow depending on the conditions. A few years ago he let me plow a few furrows with the choice of riding or walking, I did both and found his team easy to work with either way. It was my first time plowing so the furrows were not very straight, but the team was kind and forgiving. At home he tells me that he ties the lines up and just uses his voice, I don’t doubt him. I am sure that you can drive your team from where ever you want to, as long as you work at it a little. Good Luck.
    Erika

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.