corn silage for oxen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bugman
    Participant

Does anyone have suggestions on how to store small amounts of corn silage for two oxen. Thinking of about 3/4 ac of corn.

Rod
    Participant

I have made grass silage by packing fresh chopped wet forage under a 6 mil poly cover. I used sand to seal the edges and vacuumed the air out. No tires were needed to keep the cover tight and the silage quality was excellent, cows loved it.

You can also bale it and wrap in plastic or seal in Bale Bonnet bags. Works the same way. Of Course the corn has to be chopped to small pieces to get the air out and allow it to be packed. I assume it would work with corn the same as with the wet hay.

bugman
    Participant

Thanks Rod, I have enough pasture during the summer but its the winter food
    that gets alittle pricey. Just trying to find some alternatives.

Howie
    Participant

I think I would get out my corn knife and simply shock that amount of corn.
    I believe you would get more feed for the buck.

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

I would think that you could use a chipper shredder and some good quality contractors bags. A alternitve would be if you have a garden tractor or 4 wheeler you could pack a pile that is twice the width of your machine in a small pile just keep it narrow and long versus short and fat. When feeding siliage you need to keep the face of the pile cleaned daily to reduce spoilage. 2X’s would make good walls for a small bunk.

dominiquer60

I know a guy that just did silage in a pile for his first 2 milking guernseys. He piled a little heap packed it down with the tractor and covered tight with the good plastic. He has a hillside bunk now that he milks 16, has young stock and a dozen belted beef animals. Start simple and see what works for you.

Erika

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.