cradle hitch

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Most folks are probably familiar with the cradle hitch, but perhaps not everyone is. It is a great way to hook larger logs to smaller log carts with good lifting effects. Normally a single chain on a log ensures that the point of attachment for the chain to the log will always be on the top. If a log is 30″ in diameter and the arch is not too tall you might get a shallow angle on the chain which doesn’t provide the desired lift for the end of the log. With tow chains you can slide the first chain down low on one side of the log and with a grab hook (not a slip hook) you can hook the second chain into the first low on the opposite side. That gives you two chains to pull on that both originate down low on the sides of the log.

This short video is not great, but you can see a chain on each side of the log, and how the end of the log is floating over the ground. We are pulling these big Ash logs up hill over a long distance to get them in position for a mill that will cut them into beams for my upcoming barn project. In the video I said the long was 30″, but it is probably closer to 24″. Still a good sized log.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I didnt see a logging video but I did see that you got that black mule hitched and working, have you had to use the foot rope? how is that working out?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I changed the video link above to the right one! Sorry. Must have attached the wrong one here. There is a thread for training Pete ‘look under mules”! I will make another post there now. talk to you soon, Donn

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.