Crash

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

I crashed yesterday, on the tiniest skim of ice and snow, with the horse trailer loaded behind me. Was on the way to a job giving rides at a Walpole Christmas tree farm. Was just coming down the first hill form home, and started down it at an absolute crawl, maybe 2mph. 4wd, trailer brakes, compression break. I thought I was doing everything right. As soon as the road tipped a little steeper the rear wheels started coming around and I knew it was gone. I didn’t touch the brakes, got it straight twice more, but wach time the rig wanted to jackknife again. I must have straightened it again, because the trailer was right behind me when I crashed.
    At the bottom of the hill I hit a 14′ diameter sugar maple with the passenger side headlight and quarter panel, and then ran over 30′ of stone wall before some oversized rocks stopped me for good. No air bag deployment and I was fine and running for the horses, as I’d felt at least one of them go down when we hit. They were both standing when I got into the trailer (I leave them loose together in the front of a stock trailer with halters on) and I clipped the leads and got them out. Lilly was right behind me and we got the horses out in a nearby field. The both walked fine and were happy to tend the grass. Only one scratch, on Zeke’s right front knee from a stud on the shoes.
    The truck’s not a total loss, we were able to get it off the wall with a tractor. I’m fine and the horses are fine. We were able to get another truck and actually made it to our job only 1 hour late. The horses actually loaded fine into the trailer after the crash and performed well all day. I was keeping a close eye on things for sure!
    I’m glad to say nothing’s injured but the truck and my pride. If we’d hit just 2′ to the right it’d be a different story. I think the stone wall slowed me down some before we finally stopped.

Carl Russell

Man Jay, that is some long day. I’m glad you all came out OK. Be well, Carl

bradley

You need a vacation, come to lovely Athol next weekend!!

Jonathan Shively
    Participant

What a ride!!! Had 10 fat calves a couple of weeks ago we hauled to be butchered. Kind of foggy, coldest evening so far, come to the four way stop on a downhill and slid for just a few feet, saw that trailer want to come around to my side of the truck. What a pucker factor for sure. Glad to hear the horses and people are all okay, equipment can be fixed. My dad had a wrecker service and we pulled a horse out of a trailer that had come unhitched and was laying on its side. Pulled the horse with a bunch of guys by his tail. He stood up (a nice little paint gelding saddle horse) shook himself and walked right into the waiting trailer for him!

near horse
    Participant

“We were able to get another truck and actually made it to our job only 1 hour late. The horses actually loaded fine into the trailer after the crash and performed well all day. “

That resilience a testament to both the team and teamster. Well done amd glad everything turned out alright (except the truck).

Jay
    Participant

So glad to hear that both you and the horses are allright. Be well. Jay

j.l.holt
    Participant

When I load, I do everything to load so the horese are rideing backwards. With 70% of their body weight on the front end, the smallest quick stop sends them head first. They have very little chance holding them selves back.
    Standing backward, if they crash into the wall they hit their hips and back side, not their head and neck.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.