Cuba Predictions?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    dominiquer60

The first American factory to hit Cuba is in the works. They will be producing an updated version of the Allis Chalmers G tractor to aid in increasing food production needed for the predicted tourism boom.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/02/22/467372666/first-u-s-factory-okd-for-cuba-aims-to-plow-path-into-the-21st-century?utm_content=articles&utm_campaign=NLCampaign&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_term=newsletteredition&utm_medium=email

I am a fan and owner of an ACG, but I have to be honest and say that I prefer my draft animal methods over what the G has to offer. I can minimal till/no-till with the horses and a straddle row cultivator offers me more options and versatile use compared to the G. I am able to keep my soil health going in a good direction with animal power, that can’t be mimicked with a tractor system.

My prediction is that even with these small light weight tractors, Cuban agriculture will see a decrease in soil quality while taking jobs away from people that once worked the fields.

What is your take on it?

Erika

• This topic was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by dominiquer60.
    Crabapple Farm
    Participant

This is the tractor that I use in my vegetables, though in this country it’s manufactured under the “Tuff-Bilt” brand. It is a more versatile tractor than an ACG, though superficially similar.
    While I struggle a lot with having multiple types of power on our farm, and find that the ease and speed of tractors means that I don’t use animals as much as I want, I think that this specific tractor is about the best mechanical option available for ecologically minded farming (which is why I bought one). The US manufacturer is planning on making an electric version available soon.
    Some day, I’d like to be able to sell mine, and exclusively utilize animal power in my fields, but I am a few years away from that point.
    I think that with the opening of trade and tourism, a lot that is good in Cuban society and farming is going to be threatened. If they are going to start using tractors, which I think is probably inevitable, this is a better tractor than anything available from the big manufacturers.
    It is small, lightweight, easy to fix, comparatively inexpensive, and well-suited to small scale intensive production methods. I was pleased to see that the design is apparently open source, too. When the John Deere dealerships open up, then Cuba is doomed.

-Tevis

dominiquer60

Amen about the John Deere dealerships 🙂

Yes for small scale I agree that this will be the best tractor, especially if farms can manage to stay small scale. I use my ACG mostly for seeding, or for some small tasks like scuffing/rolling in a small cover crop. I am able to use some of my animal equipment on the drawbar, and I might use 10 gallons of fuel a year. A nice compromise for mixed power.

Hopefully they don’t push for large scale Ag, but I know Big Ag will do what they can to help “advance” their system. I guess if I want to be a tourist there and see ox power, I had better jump on it sooner than later.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.