cultimulcher

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Lizzy Koltai
    Participant

Hi All,

I am thinking of purchasing a 4′ cultimulcher. I am 2 years out of sod, and still have a lot of perennial grasses in our market garden. In general for soil prep I go around and around with my single gang disk. (I pick and choose which spots will get spring plowing.) In really grassy areas that don’t get the benefit of plowing I might do a few passes after the disk with the straddle row cultivator because the spring tooth harrows I have are too light for our current field conditions. I then form beds with disk hillers on a the straddle row cultivator.

It looks like a cultimulcher might really help with our perennial weeds. Would it be an appropriate tool for such? Can it handle rough ground?

We are also on a hillside– enough that last year I flipped the straddle row cultivator one day when I hit a clump of sod just right, an experience I would rather not repeat with any piece of equipment. How does the cultimulcher do on hills?

I’m currently working with a 17 year old gelding in excellent shape and a very very old mare who has great spirit and waning strength. She is on light work only, so the gelding has to do a lot of the work single. Can a 17 hand, Belgian-sized gelding handle a 4′ cultimulcher single? I saw a photo of a cultimulcher with shafts in the Pioneer catalogue, so I got hopeful.

What are my options for purchasing cultimulchers? How do Pioneer and Shipse cultimulchers compare? Are there any other manufacturers I should look into?

This will be the largest investment in a single piece of equipment we will have made to date, so I am anxious that it would actually be a sensible purchase to our business.

Thanks,
    Lizzy

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.