Cultivator comparisons

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Cultivator comparisons

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    hardpan99
    Participant

Hi All,

As many of you may know, the I&J cultivators are steered by a combination of moving the wheels with a foot pedal and steering the horses while the shovels remain fixed. With, the old-fashioned (McD, JD, etc..) cultivators, the shovels are steered with the feet, while the main wheels remain fixed. That being said, I have only used the new I&J cultivator, but when I look at the old-fashioned models it seems they are more versatile and have an advantage of the large wheels. Any comments or experiences where you found one to be better than the other?

Kristin
    Participant

I thought that on the older ones (we have a collection of them and use them all) the wheels *and* the shovels are steered with the foot pedals. I am mechanically challenged, though, so maybe I’m just totally mistaken.

As far as which we have found best, we’ve never had a newer one, and with the antiques it’s been more about their condition than their brand. Our first one had bad bearings that made it tippy and therefore difficult to steer precisely. We keep several ready in the barnyard with different sweeps/shovels/disks etc mounted on them so we can switch quickly.

On the subject, we just mounted a finger weeder onto a cultivator and it is the best thing that’s happened to weed control around here since the stirrup hoe. I’ll try and get a picture to post soon.

all best,
    Kristin

hardpan99
    Participant

Nice! I would definitely like to see the photos. Especially with the weeder attachment.

hardpan99
    Participant

You are correct, the old cultivators do steer the gangs and the wheels simultaneously.

ethalernull
    Participant

hey Kristin,

where did you get your finger weeder/how is it mounted?

thanks,
    evan

Mike Rock
    Participant

Sprin tine weeders

Does anyone know where one of these spring tine weeders might be purchased?

Happy Easter.

Went to a three generation horse farm auction yesterday. Spent too much. Good stuff:))

Mike Rock
    Participant
    hardpan99
    Participant

Mike,

I take it you weren’t able to purchase a finger weeder at the auction? I have never used one but it looks like you would use it like a field cultivator or drag harrow? I think my neighbor has one on a junk pile. I should see if its salvageable.

Mike Rock
    Participant

No, that is one thing that isn’t seen out here. At least I haven’t seen one in fifty years:(
    It seems there would be a small market for them with market gardeners at least. Just like the old Dick Raymond, Joy of Gardening, hand version of the finger weeder, like a rake with super long tines. I’ve watched the Lely and just think it’s a bit too harsh, these were supposed to be more gentle from everything I’ve read.

Mike Rock
    Participant

Should have said, “too harsh for young vegetables’.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.