D harness on a Donkey

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Rod
    Participant

Anyone have any advice reguarding the use of “D” harnesses on a Donkey team. The goal is to get some of the weigh from the pole off the donkeys necks.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

It sounds like a good idea – just got to make sure it fits right and is adjusted right. Go right to the source, get a hold of Les Barden.

Rod
    Participant

Is Les Bardon a harness maker?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Les is a teamster from New Hampshire that has a video available that explains the uses and advantages of the D ring harness. He gave a great presentation at last years NEAPFD. I don’t think he is a harness maker himself but I am sure he would know where to get one. Do you have harness allready or are you just planning to get harness? What equipment do you have or hope to use with the donkeys? How big are they and how much do you think they weigh? Is there a specific task that you think has to much tongue weight? These are just some of the questions I would ask if I were thinking about buying a different type of harness. hopefully we will hear from of the D ring users in the group.

Rod
    Participant

Hi Donn

I have a couple of old and pretty beat pony harnesses which I modified and adjusted to fit my team more or less and I want to replace them with something better. I would love to get a hold of that video and hopefully someone here has the phone or address of Mr. Barden so I can contact him.
    I plan to use the donkeys for the following tasks and others that will likely suggest themselves as opportunities occur. Pulling small saw logs out of the woods, same for tops and firewood pieces, Hauling firewood to the woodshed with a small sled in winter and on my wagon or two wheel cart on dry ground. Pulling a small wagon I built around the farm for chores and rides, pulling a fore cart, possibly collecting sap if they can handle it, moving a round bale one at a time to feed stock, moving objects around the farm like the chicken shelter and other like items.
    I have a steel pole that I use on the pole items which I feel is a little heavy on the draw bar and since I want to get better harnesses I though I might as well get the “D” type for the advantages I have read about.
    Thank for you help and interest.

Carl Russell

Les Barden lives in Farminton, NH 603-332-0082. He can answer many questions about the D-ring harness. He has helped several people find a harness maker to make harnesses for animals as small as haflingers. It is probably likely that you will have to buy custom made harness, because your donks are pretty small. Les will help you figure out some of the dimensions ie. trace lengths, britchen size, etc.

He has copies of his video for sale, but you can also probably get one from http://www.newenglandoxsupply.com or http://www.berrybrookoxsupply.com both of whom are strong supporters, friends, and neighbors of his.

Carl

Dubba
    Participant

Please do contact Mr Barden before you purchase anything. I didn’t know of him until I purchased his video which has his contact info at the end of it.

Being shy by nature, I snapped some pictures of my boys rigged & ready, had them blown up to 8×10’s & mailed them to him. He felt so sorry for me (I guess) that he came out to the farm a week later to show me which pieces I needed to shorten & lengthen. Most of the pieces were well past the adjustment range of the harness, if they were even adjustable, necessitating new pieces.

His take on the harness makers seemed to be that even though they were well intentioned, he had never met one that could make a D ring harness correctly without some dimensional guidance just because they don’t make many. So far in my very limited experience, I agree.

Rod
    Participant

I would like to see some pictures of your Donkeys in harness. Can you post them on this site?

Dubba
    Participant

pictures of your Donkeys

Sorry no donkeys here, just a couple of old boys. Here is one of Barney doing things badly.
    barney21107.jpg

Rod
    Participant

Great photo, thanks

Does’ Leap
    Participant

I posted this a while back, but thought I would pass it on again. When I was pricing out new harnesses for my team, Becky (see contact info below) was around half the price of other harness makers.

On another note, we adapted a pair of D-rings that were used on 19 hand Belgians for our 16 / 2 hand bays by purchasing some new hame clips (to shorten the hames) and punching new holes in most of the straps to shorten things up. So old harnesses might be adaptable for you.

Good luck.

Zimmerman’s Harness LLC
    601 Snapper Drive
    Ephrata, PA 17522
    (717) 354 5667

Carl Russell

One of the most critical measurements on a D-ring harness is the placement of the D-ring. This is controlled by the jack-saddle straps, the belly band, AND the front trace length.

One of Les’ biggest complaints with harness makers, and my experience backs it up, is they tend to not pay attention to this factor. It is probably because the D-ring is at first glance just a connection point for leather straps.

However, the D-ring needs to be located just behind the front leg where the weight can be born on the withers, not on the back, and the belly band is in front of the barrel, but out of the way of front leg movement. The length of the front trace will govern this, and will allow for the appropriate angle to be maintained off of the collar.

When getting a D-ring harness made, it is imperative that the harness maker understands that, and that the measurement given will facilitate that performance. This may prohibit the refitting of old harness to animals as small as the donkeys in question.

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

On reading Carl’s last post, I realized I’m mixing up my terminology. We purchased a foward trace clip, not a hame clip. I removed the old trace clip, shortened the front trace, and installed the new trace clip in an attempt to achieve Carl’s aforementioned harness fit. I also shortened the jack-saddle straps and the belly band.

Sorry for the confusion.

George

Rod
    Participant

Carl
    Thank you for the tip on the harness construction, I will pass it on to whomever I get to make the harness.

George
    Thank you for the lead on the harness maker. I called them and they can do it except they do not have any small rings. The rings they have are for heavy drafts and I was a little confused as she described what she needed for a ring. Something about two rings together. It would help me if I could see what the ring looked like as I can have them made in a size suitable for my small animals. I have ordered the tape on the “d” ring harness and hopefully can see one there. If anyone out there can describe the ring or rings needed so I can get the picture that will help also. She suggested a 2.5″ diameter for a 1.5″ tug size.
    The harness maker said she is willing and able to make them for me but I would need to supply the rings.

Dubba
    Participant

This is a spare D-ring that I have. I could mail it to you for reference if needed, Just return it when your done.

DSC_0657.jpg

DSC_0651.jpg

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.