DAP member on Calendar

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Congratulations to Denny Decker for his photo in the 2009 Mischka Draft Horse Calendar. He is on the bottom of the page for the month of June 09 driving and eight up rig in some tilled ground at the “no name gang gathering” in NY state. Beautiful photo, nice blacks and grays.

Great horseman, glad he is on this forum with us.

you can find the Mischka information at:

http://www.mischka.com

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that Denny’s photo is on the same page with the only Suffolk’s in this coming years calendar…..

Plowboy
    Participant

Thanks Jason it was sort of a last minute thing but it worked great with our four out front. The secret to bigger hitches is really good voice broke lead horses. The wheel team was pretty good too. The big white mare in the wheel team was a Windermere hitch mare a few years ago. This spring we are planning a 12 to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the 12 hitch that some of our mentors helped put together. Richard, the fellow riding with me in the picture did alot of the driving on the 12 so if I get in a jam I can hand him the lines. We didn’t know about the picture until we got a letter from Mishka Press just before it went to press. Maybe someday we’ll get a big picture like you did a few years ago with Skidder and Wedge.

Robin
    Participant

RE: No Name Gang
    Where are they located and when & where do they do their farming? Do they have a contact person/web site/anything?
    Our local draft club would be interested in seeing them.
    Thanks,
    Robin

Plowboy
    Participant

Robin,
    We are an informal group of renegade draft animal folks that have had bad luck with the club scene politics and socializing taking priority over working. Most want a picnic and tell the others that are doing the work how to do it. We get together to work our animals and accomplish a common goal. Our numbers are many and we cover a 50 mile radius of Oneonta New York. The events are scattered and our farming is done year round. The events are hosted by folks in our group when there is a need or want to get together and do something. The rest of the time we toil individually but we all look forward to getting together and doing a big job together often with 15-20 teams plowing a large field or filling my Parents silo with corn, in the past we have skidded firewood,sawlogs,planted and harvested crops etc. Our group was named by two deceased members. One said “We need a name for our club”. A bystander said, “We can’t be a club or we’ll have a mess like

draft horse club did”. An old timer piped in, “We’ll have to be a gang then”.
    The first man then replied, ” Yup we’ll have to be the “No Name Gang” and so it came to be. It was named about 12 years ago and still going strong. Some newbies have came and went but the core members stay with it and new diehard teamsters come along all the time. We have no memberships, no dues, no arguements and therefore no friction. Everyone pitches in and works together like country folks did decades ago.We have no website but any one of us could be a contact person. If I didn’t answer all of your questions you can contact me by private message or email.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.