DAPFD Thursday: Oxen Worshop

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Events DAPFD Thursday: Oxen Worshop

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    dominiquer60

Hi All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that we have a great all day workshop planned for beginners and novice teamsters. Our 2 main instructors will be DJ Clary and Kaleigh Hamel, with support from myself and Gail Roberts. DJ and Kaleigh will be bringing 2 top notch teams each, 3 are well seasoned working and showing, 1 is a young team with only a few weeks of training. DJ is President of the Association of New England Ox Teamsters, he uses his oxen for logging, plowing, haying, showing and pulling, they traveled to our DAPNet Plow clinic this Spring and all over New England to various competitions. Kaliegh has been working with oxen for a few years now and though she is young, her talent training animals to very high standards is clear when you meet her massive team of Holsteins.

We will start the day with calf selection, care of working cattle, respectful handling of working cattle and going over basic commands. Kaliegh will show how she starts a young team with her young Hereford/Aryshires. We will go over what modifications need to be made to use oxen on equipment meant for horses, and in the afternoon everyone will have the chance to practice driving a team in a safe environment. Participants will have the opportunity to handle these animals, and will walk away with the knowledge to perhaps start a pair of calves of their own.

If you would like to participate in this workshop, you must register ahead of time as the workshop is limited to the 12 people. For information about registering, please see our website, http://flofarm.org/dap/dap-field-days/.

We hoped to have Ray Ludwig on hand, but he is recovering from a tick born disease and will not be able to make it. A possible addition is that I may also bring a single Ox if time and circumstances permit.

I will be happy to answer any questions that folks may have.

Sincerely,

Erika Marczak
    http://www.abingtongrown.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.