DAPNet Hook 2.0

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Finally a new version of the hook. I must say I have been using the old ones for the last couple weeks and they have been great. Friends even busted the end off a tug with a tree buried in the snow. Good teachable moment, as I would don’t mind hooking to a heavy log, but I try not to hook to something if I don’t know if it is free. Too much wasted effort and broken equipment. The hook was fine.

In response to the two hooks that have broken I have been working with the Evener Shop that is is making them and made a few modifications. I think this will really take it to the next level. Some of the best parts of the new version. First, all the ones Noah Troyer has made this past winter can easily be converted to the new design. He already has 100!

Second, the new design has no welding in it; it is completely bolted together. This means that any part can easily be replaced. Currently some of the bolts are grade 5 and some are grade 8, but any one that wants to can put in a new bolt any time they like. Finally the added swivel will take out the built in torque that was inherent in the original design.

We have added to the cost slightly but Noah is still selling them to DAP at a great price that will allow us to sell them for $42 plus shipping and still have them work as a fund raiser. I am also ordering parts that I can use to repair any older ones that break, or simple ship to anyone that just wants to up grade their current hook.

Here are two pictures, one in pieces and one all assembled. The main swivel bolt is a 1″ long 5/8″ grade 8 bolt with an all metal lock nut placed on backwards (because of the short bolt). DAP has 10 on order and will see them in the couple weeks. I will try to get some out to Sam and Erika, before the plowing clinic.

• This topic was modified 9 years, 2 months ago by Donn Hewes.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Carl Russell

Noice……

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Looks good Donn. Send me one when you have a chance and I will put it to use!
    -Brad

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Carl, I real don’t think it will be any louder than the old ones but I will look into that. D

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Brad, I have just the one, but I will send it to you this week. Glad to have you put it through it paces.

Just a thought about using two chains with the DAPNet hook. Like Carl, I think 9 out of 10 times it is simple and easy to use one chain. Through a half hitch on a log or small bunch is easier than keeping an eye on the second chain in most cases. The nice thing about the hook is that the second chain is an option.

I have found that in a few cases with slightly bigger logs that might be 10 or 50′ from each other, putting chains on as I come into the area, and then picking them up as I go has worked well. In working the second chain without dropping the first out of the hook I think there will be some tricks to learn. Normally when placing a single chain I cross my hands and pick up the hook with one hand while the other stretches the chain and slots it. For the second chain I pick up the loose end of the first chain and use that to lift the hook while the other hand slots home the second chain. If you lift the hook by the handle you tend to drop the first chain while setting the other. This seems to keep both in the hook as I put it down.

I also had the hook on the ski arch with a tongue and it worked great with horses well hitched, unfortunately I lost the photos of that.

Carl Russell

What Donn, can’t you read a Vermont accent? 😉

Brad Johnson
    Participant

Donn-
    Got the new hook today, and it looks super. I will put it to use and get you some feedback but I think it will a significant improvement over the original. Thanks!
    -Brad

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Brad, Glad you like it. I agree it looks nice, and i think all the replaceable parts and no welding improve it. That handle is a little sharp, I meant to rasp it but didn’t get to it! You migth hit it while you are sharpening a saw. Talk to you soon, Donn

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.