Decision time, ak.a. it’s time to rock & roll!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

All,
    It seems as though input has tapered off on the questions asked earlier of our focus group. Now it is time to get to work and start hammering out the dirty details. There were 4 distinct questions that I asked of the group and I have compiled responses below. For my sanity and ease of editing I ask you to please follow these steps. Select your top two (2) choices for #2 & #3. Select your top ten (10) choices for #4. Cut and paste from this message to your message for ease of organizaton. I will then compile the responses, weed the duplicates, and submit the final list to the group for a final decision. Please keep in mind not to wordsmith or change the responses at this time. We are looking at the idea/statement first and then can fine tune it later once we reach a final decision.

Next task. I will attach an .xls file to this thread as soon as Carl allows .xls to be a valid file extension to post. This is a contact list that will allow us to start pulling together all of our fellow draft powered forestry practitioners, where ever they may be. Please enter information for every draft powered forestry practitioner you know, contact them to have them add to the list folks they know. Send your entries on the soon to be attached spreadsheet to me at horselogger@gmail.com E-mail is a priority if they have it as that is the most efficient way of distributing initial information. Mailing address is important as well. Please do not enter incomplete addresses as they do us no good. For international folks please include a complete post address that I could put in the mail and it would find you. For those furry critters (I know 2!) that only crawl out of the woods on rare occassions and use a general delivery at a post office that will work. The take home idea is that whatever we put in the mail will find them….

Its time for the calks to hit the skid trail….no excuses;)

Here are the responses..

1) What is the consensus and/or discussion on what I’ve mentioned so far?

“Go for it”

“I agree with Rick go for it I think if we start slowly and build we will be better able to control the content and quality!”

“I agree with this.”

2) Throw out some names for the effort. Ideally ones that could carry over into the eventual association. Key words could/would be; draft, forestry, logging, powered, animal, international, etc..

“New Age Loggers.”

“Draft Powered Forestry International”

“International Draft Powered Forestry Association”

“Universal horse logging association!”

“International Draft Animal Forestry Initiative (IDAFI)”

“Animal Powered Logging Association of the World (APLAW)”

3) Mission statement. This should be 1-3 sentences at most.

“Improving the lot of the practicing horselogger while adding to the richness and diversity of the forest.”

“To promote, and educate the public on draft animal forestry and to provide a network for landowners to connect with practitioners”

“To provide an outreach program for new practitioners to learn and grow.”

“To promote positive impact forest management using draft animals and appropriate technology”

“To facilitate the international connection between draft animal forestry practitioners, exchanging information, providing benefits of association (i.e. insurance, cooperative marketing, etc.), and advocating toward mutual goals.”

4) Goals. List five goals, in order of priority, for this effort. Clear, concise, and limited to one complete sentence.

“Establish meaningful connections with those who manage our forests – landowners, foresters, congressmen etc including those who disburse subsidies for good forestry.”

”Work with researchers to study and publish ecological benefits of animal logging.”

”Develop time-share arrangements for new technology like hydraulic forwarders.”

”Work to establish a separate and reasonable Worker’s Comp category for animal loggers.”

”Share techniques and strategies.”

“To develop some sort of state or regional organization to help with training new and upcoming horse loggers Get more awareness to the general public find and promote new ways to use animal power to enhance our forest world wide!”

“More government help to land owners in the form of tax or cash payments to maintain there woodlots, help and encouragement in new technologies to make our work safer and more profitable, the workmen’s comp idea is great and more networking!”

”Goals- something to aim at.
    A. To develop and international draft animal forestry association.
    Objective- how are we going to get to the goal.
    a. Develop a board of directors
    b. develop districts- we had north west, mid west, south west, south, south east, north east, each district needs a director.
    c. Develop a non-profit. 501c3, or 501c6
    d. develop your financial structure,
    1. How are you going to pay for your expenses? Newsletters, marketing, events.
    2. Income, memberships, how much? Fund raisers, field days, and seminars. ?
    B. Benefits of member’s
    a. receive a newsletter, email or hard copy.
    b. Insurance benefits.
    c. Educational opportunities
    d. networking with practitioners and landowners
    c. better marketing opportunities.”

“We need a way to rate or insure performance and praise a job well done”

”Work-mans comp is a huge issue that should be addressed”

”A data base/ referral system to share with prospective clients”

”A place to advertise services, tools, and equipmen

”A net work to discuss ideas, successes and failures”

”Mentoring or training”

“To establish an international directory of associations, organizations, and individuals who are supporting the work of draft animal forestry practitioners”
    or
    “To establish an international directory of associations, organizations, and individuals who are supporting /(or practicing)/ the work of draft animal forestry practitioners.”

”To develop a network of information sharing, such as websites, e-newsletter, and hard-copy newsletter to support the international community of draft animal forestry practitioners.”
    or
    “To develop a network of information sharing, such as websites, e-newsletter, and hard-copy newsletter to support /(and promote)/ the international community of draft animal forestry practitioners”

”To form an association to support the international community of draft animal forestry practitioners.”

”To improve opportunities for draft animal forestry practitioners to unite regionally, and internationally, to share information, work, markets, and advocacy.”

”To advance an ecological perspective of forest management, based on the use of draft animals, and other low impact/low input strategies.”

“To serve as a networking, clearinghouse and contact information for individuals and organizations involved in animal powered forestry throughout the world.”

“To serve as an official body to support collaboration, research and demonstration with all interest groups on the issues of sustainable forestry including, governmental, non governmental organizations (NGO), academic institutions, municipalities, private landowners and those individuals interested in actually doing this work.”

“Establish a mentor /apprentice network world wide.”

Rick Alger
    Participant

“New Age Loggers.”

“Improving the lot of the practicing horselogger while adding to the richness and diversity of the forest.”

“To facilitate the international connection between draft animal forestry practitioners, exchanging information, providing benefits of association (i.e. insurance, cooperative marketing, etc.), and advocating toward mutual goals.”

“Establish meaningful connections with those who manage our forests – landowners, foresters, congressmen etc including those who disburse subsidies for good forestry.”

”Work with researchers to study and publish ecological benefits of animal logging.”

”Work to establish a separate and reasonable Worker’s Comp category for animal loggers.”

“More government help to land owners in the form of tax or cash payments to maintain there woodlots, help and encouragement in new technologies to make our work safer and more profitable, the workmen’s comp idea is great and more networking!”

”To improve opportunities for draft animal forestry practitioners to unite regionally, and internationally, to share information, work, markets, and advocacy.”

”To advance an ecological perspective of forest management, based on the use of draft animals, and other low impact/low input strategies.”

“To serve as a networking, clearinghouse and contact information for individuals and organizations involved in animal powered forestry throughout the world.”

“To serve as an official body to support collaboration, research and demonstration with all interest groups on the issues of sustainable forestry including, governmental, non governmental organizations (NGO), academic institutions, municipalities, private landowners

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

sorry for the unnecessary stuff here it is a cut copy paste from the email to Scott, posted here per his request…..

Guide: For my sanity and ease of editing I ask you to please follow these
    > steps. Select your top two (2) choices for #2 & #3. Select your top ten
    > (10) choices for #4. _Cut and paste from this message to your message for ease of organizaton.
    >
    >
    >
    > “I agree with Rick go for it I think if we start slowly and build we will be
    > better able to control the content and quality!”
    >
    > “I agree with this.”
    >
    >
    >
    > “International Draft Animal Forestry Initiative (IDAFI)”
    > “Animal Powered Logging Association of the World (APLAW)”
    >
    >
    >
    > “To facilitate the international connection between draft animal forestry
    > practitioners, exchanging information, providing benefits of association
    > (i.e. insurance, cooperative marketing, etc.), and advocating toward mutual
    > goals.”
    >
    >
    >
    > “To serve as an official body to support collaboration, research and
    > demonstration with all interest groups on the issues of sustainable forestry
    > including, governmental, non governmental organizations (NGO), academic
    > institutions, municipalities, private landowners and those individuals
    > interested in actually doing this work.”
    >
    > “We need a way to rate or insure performance and praise a job well done”
    >
    > “To develop a network of information sharing, such as websites,
    > e-newsletter, and hard-copy newsletter to support /(and promote)/ the
    > international community of draft animal forestry practitioners”
    >
    > ”To improve opportunities for draft animal forestry practitioners to unite
    > regionally, and internationally, to share information, work, markets, and
    > advocacy.”
    >
    > develop districts- we had north west, mid west, south west, south,
    > *Appalachian*, south east, north east, each district needs a director.
    > (couldn’t help but add Appalachian, it was clearly an oversight on my part
    > originally)
    >
    > ”A net work to discuss ideas, successes and failures”
    >
    > ”To advance an ecological perspective of forest management, based on the use
    > of draft animals, and other low impact/low input strategies.”
    >
    > ”To improve opportunities for draft animal forestry practitioners to unite
    > regionally, and internationally, to share information, work, markets, and
    > advocacy.”
    >
    >
    >
    > Scott,
    >
    > There is much yet to added to the goals and objectives of this effort – but
    > this is a good start.

> For instance we could serve as a valid group to address issues of “green
    > certified” forest products,in particular to include bonus points for locally
    > animal powered harvested and processed materials and have a board member > nominated to the boards of SFC, Leeds, USGBC.
    >
    We should clearly state our support of “worst first single tree selection”
    > and other methods of silviculture that meet our objectives.
    >
    We could provide a speakers list on a regional international basis – for
    > environmental groups, educational institutions, civic organizations, etc.
    > I would add that I think the benefits versus the hassle of an official
    > organization are far over rated… We spent over a year on this when
    > starting up HHFF and we had a grant (Ford Foundation) specifically for that
    > purpose – and it has amounted to very little actual success in the creation
    > of new practitioners. New practitioners are created through anthropological
    > cultural techniques or relationships. If we as a group do decide we need
    > this official status HHFF exists as an umbrella to enable that approach,
    > without reinventing the wheel.
    >
    I also reject the (other low impact) words included because it means small
    > machines and not animal power. There are companies that manufacture and
    > advertise this stuff that don’t need our help. Now that doesn’t reject
    > forwarders and IC powered hydraulic systems, just not the skidding
    > component. We know the real damage is road building and skid trail
    > construction and occurs mostly from stump to landing. Since none of us are
    > going to be logging in virgin forest we don’t need to build new roads but be
    > wise enough on our ground skills to use what old disturbance that is already
    > there and stable and this cultural approach is the only one that can do
    > that. We need help with our own approach and power sources… That’s my
    > story and I’m sticking to it….
    >
    > Good work man, let us know what’s next. I volunteer for whatever position
    > (other than the head man, you’ve been drafted to that job!) to help this
    > happen.
    >
    > It was cool to hear that so many were working on other things besides
    > logging at this time of year. Our first batch of salsa is canned and we
    > will slip out for some young horse handling time this evening before dark.
    > Carry on sir!
    >

john plowden
    Participant

#2 –

#3 –
    “To promote positive impact forest management using draft animals and appropriate technology”

“To develop some sort of state or regional organization to help with training new and upcoming horse loggers Get more awareness to the general public find and promote new ways to use animal power to enhance our forest world wide!”

“To establish an international directory of associations, organizations, and individuals who are supporting /(or practicing)/ the work of draft animal forestry practitioners.”

“To serve as an official body to support collaboration, research and demonstration with all interest groups on the issues of sustainable forestry including, governmental, non governmental organizations (NGO), academic institutions, municipalities, private landowners and those individuals interested in actually doing this work.”

”A place to advertise services, tools, and equipmen

Carl Russell

“I agree with this.”

2) Throw out some names for the effort. Ideally ones that could carry over into the eventual association. Key words could/would be; draft, forestry, logging, powered, animal, international, etc..

“Draft Powered Forestry International”(I don’t mind this but think it should be animal and not just draft)

4) Goals. List five goals, in order of priority, for this effort. Clear, concise, and limited to one complete sentence.

To develop and international draft animal forestry association.

“To establish an international directory of associations, organizations, and individuals who are supporting the work of draft animal forestry practitioners”

”To develop a network of information sharing, such as websites, e-newsletter, and hard-copy newsletter to support the international community of draft animal forestry practitioners.”

cousin jack
    Participant

2. “International Draft Powered Forestry Association”

3. “To promote, and educate the public on draft animal forestry and to provide a network for landowners to connect with practitioners”

”Mentoring or training”
    ”To form an association to support the international community of draft animal forestry practitioners.”
    ”A data base/ referral system to share with prospective clients”

Jim Ostergard
    Participant

“Go for it”

b. develop districts- we had north west, mid west, south west, south, south east, north east, each district needs a director.

”A place to advertise services, tools, and equipment

“To develop a network of information sharing, such as websites, e-newsletter, and hard-copy newsletter to support /(and promote)/ the international community of draft animal forestry practitioners”

Scott G
    Participant

In case this gets buried on the Sustainable Forestry category. Make note of e-mailing me directly to get the file due to the inability to post an .xls here

“Fellow Draft Animal Powered Forestry Practioners,

This is an update on the progress of the formative focus group’s collaborative process to launch our new effort. It has been decided to:

-Start with a networking/newsletter effort both in e-copy & hard copy form to reach out to fellow practitioners on an International basis. The end goal, however, is an established organization.

-Be all inclusive for all types of draft animal extraction (horse, mule, oxen, etc..)

-Develop an extensive contact list from which can work from and network with.

At the present we are narrowing down our 1)Name, 2)Mission Statement, & 3) Primary Goals.

Once we have developed & implemented our formative process we will open the effort to all. As always, however, comments, suggestions and insight are welcome.

Next task, we need to start developing our contact list. This will be a contact list that will allow us to start pulling together all of our fellow draft powered forestry practitioners, wherever they may be. In the absence of being able to attach an .xls file to this thread, please contact me at horselogger@gmail.com to obtain it. I will then do an automatic reply with the file attached. Please enter the required information following the example of my listing in the first row. When you are finished, e-mail the completed form to me at horselogger@gmail.com with the file extension changed slightly for ease of file organization on my end. For example, change the file name from to something that includes your initials .

Please enter information for every draft powered forestry practitioner you know, contact them to have them add to the list folks they know. E-mail is a priority if they have it as that is the most efficient way of distributing initial information. Mailing address is important as well. Please do not enter incomplete addresses as they do us no good. For International folks please include a complete post address that I could put in the mail and it would find you. For those furry critters (I know 2!) that only crawl out of the woods on rare occassions and use a general delivery at a post office that will work. The take home idea is that whatever we put in the mail will find them. We are not collecting phone numbers at this time for privacy concerns but will forward that option to listed members at a later date. For those of you that do not have computers that support Microsoft Excel send the info in a format that will work for you. The less info I receive in other formats is that much less that I have to re-enter by hand, however.

Thanks for everyone’s help, this effort will be what we make of it and depends on everyone’s support & input.

Take care,
    Scott
    horselogger@gmail.com

lancek
    Participant

“I agree with Rick go for it I think if we start slowly and build we will be better able to control the content and quality!”

) Throw out some names for the effort. Ideally ones that could carry over into the eventual association. Key words could/would be; draft, forestry, logging, powered, animal, international, etc..
    Universal horse logging association!”

) Mission statement. This should be 1-3 sentences at most.
    To promote, and educate the public on draft animal forestry and to provide a network for landowners to connect with practitioners”
    To provide an outreach program for new practitioners to learn and grow.”

To facilitate the international connection between draft animal forestry practitioners, exchanging information, providing benefits of association (i.e. insurance, cooperative marketing, etc.), and advocating toward mutual goals.”

Share techniques and strategies.”
    Work to establish a separate and reasonable Worker’s Comp category for animal loggers.”

”Mentoring or training”
    To improve opportunities for draft animal forestry practitioners to unite regionally, and internationally, to share information, work, markets, and advocacyTo advance an ecological perspective of forest management, based on the use of draft animals, and other low impact/low input strategies.”

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.