Deering mower

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Brad Yantzi
    Participant

Hi folks

I’m looking for some advice on how to find the exact right pitman arm length on an old mower I picked up it says Deering ideal on it and that’s the only real identification I can find on it, are these mowers any good?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

can you post a couple pictures or a link to photos? I might be able to help if you do. Donn

Brad Yantzi
    Participant

I’ll try again won’t seem to let me upload them

Brad Yantzi
    Participant

Try again

Brad Yantzi
    Participant

Photos

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Brad, can you email them to me? tripletree at frontiernet dot net. I will also check with Daniel and see if he know why we are having this problem. D

dras
    Participant

Hey all. I have a McCormick Deering High Gear No. 9. Startting to take it apart and could use some tips. I have Lynn Miller Horsedrawn Mower Book (great reasource); but here’s the problem: I cannot get the cutter bar to drop from vertical. I unhooked the tension spring, no tension on the gag lever, no tension on the lifting quadrant, pitman arm is missing, knife slides up and down by hand. All I can think of is that the two pins that hold the inner shoe in place are frozen up – but I cannot figure out how to get at them. PB Blaster twice a day for 4 days has done nothing.
    Any tips?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Any parts on a mower that has been sitting out side can be frozen. Likely that those two pins are frozen if you have disconnected the rest of the lift system. Some timing bars and inner shoes will not be salvaged; at least by me. You can buy these parts if you need to. Donn

Jay
    Participant

Donn, would you consider using some judicious heat on the pins to try getting them to move? Jay

daniel grover
    Keymaster

hey there,

the photo upload problem is related to the file size. Try saving the photos at a smaller size and then re-upload.

Daniel

dras
    Participant

Thanks. I will try some heat/oil/heat. Maybe it will work.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I have tried heat before with mixed success (mostly not). One thing I would like to know is what else is set up? I have seen a couple mowers where the push bar was set up in it’s thread in the inner shoe. I have not gotten them loose. With it on the mower and everything else disconnected, rocking the cutter bar forward and back should tell if the shoe is frozen on the push bar.

near horse
    Participant

After heat/oil/heat and being sure the pin isn’t threaded in, how about trying a demo hammer to try and drive the pin out or break it loose? I’ve driven plenty of ground rods in hard packed rocky soil with them so they have some oomph. Most tool rental stores carry them.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by near horse.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.