Disappointing day, plowing

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Member Diaries Disappointing day, plowing

• This topic has 37 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    jen judkins
    Participant

Today, I think I finally understand the allure of a tractor and why some people prefer them:(.

I have a small plot ready to plow for my corn and potatoes. I have been very excited about making this garden a diesel free zone…no tractor, just horse and human power. So this afternoon, we set out to plow. I mean, come on, its a 100′ x 100′ plot….should be able to plow it in 30 minutes, right? Well, whatever could go wrong, did go wrong. Reno was hyped up and could not/would not settle into a nice walk. The plow is new to me and is definately not as nice a plow as Ted’s. I made a few adjustments (after watching Farmer Brown’s videos) and though I had it set up right, but I couldn’t get the depth I needed to keep the *%&$@ thing in the ground. And when I did have the plow in the ground, Reno would leave the furrow! So with Reno lurching and weaving and the bazillion rocks, I felt like I was in a combat zone!!!

Then Reno just quit on me. Would not budge. I didn’t know whether to get firmer or not, as in truth, I had been so concentrating on the $%#@&* plow, that I had no idea whether Reno was just tired or was being stubborn. So after an hour of triing and only 2 and 1/2 furrows completed (yep, that’s right), I unhooked him from the plow and went back to basics. We pretended to plow with just the singletree dragging until he he was moving forward and listening to my cues, After 2 1/2 hours of getting nothing done I unharnessed him and hosed us both down.

I am most frustrated because in truth, I can’t think of anything positive to focus on. I really try hard to focus on what’s working and that generally gets me to the next step, but the afternoon was a complete and utter disaster. I guess I can be grateful I’m not in the hospital! Haha…that’s it! I definately need a pep talk though folks…

Carl Russell

Education. Lot’s of education. Hands-on. The best kind. Sometimes it hurts, but sometimes that’s the only way we learn. Something has to help clear the vision.

There are so many factors. The soil, the condition of the plow, Reno’s attitude. Some times you just have to work through it. I think you need to seriously consider the condition of the plow. It may very well be the source of your predicament. By the way, how much have you been working Reno since he got on grass full time?? My horses are pretty piped up these days, and they haven’t even gotten on grass yet.

I’d say your biggest problem was your expectations. I know it’s hard to do, but I learned long ago, when I want to accomplish something, not to go at it with an expectation that it will only require a short time. At least if you only have a short time then only work for that long.

Plowing is not an easy thing to master. As you have found out it is much more than just driving the horse, or steering the plow. I’d say that is the positive. You added to your knowledge base, and it will help you in the future. Give it another try.

Carl

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Didn’t you write about a good plowing experience last weekend or so? Same plow? If Reno is jumping the furrow and quit on you I would suspect something not fitting quite well, maybe something is sore or painful, or maybe this soil plows a lot harder than what he is use to. A lot of rocks and shock loads to the collar? Sounds like you were both pretty frustrated. Tomorrow is another day.

jen judkins
    Participant

Different plow, Tim….and no one to coach me…it was a double wammy!

jen judkins
    Participant

@Carl Russell 18063 wrote:

Plowing is not an easy thing to master. As you have found out it is much more than just driving the horse, or steering the plow. I’d say that is the positive. You added to your knowledge base, and it will help you in the future. Give it another try.

You know I will! But do I adhere to the timeframe and plow with the tractor (this time)…or do I go out and do it again with Reno? Should I get someone to come help? Any volunteers?

goodcompanion
    Participant

100 x 100 is a quarter acre, more or less. To do that with a single is pretty ambitious in my book. I am satisfied (at least for now) when I turn down that much in a day with a team.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. Think of it this way. You turned two good furrows today (or at least ones good enough that you don’t care to try them again) Make it four tomorrow. Eight the next day. Or something like that.

Walking plows offer a lot of intuitive challenges that all have to be right or none of it works. Give yourself and the horse some time.

Carl Russell
    jenjudkins;18067 wrote:
    … But do I adhere to the timeframe and plow with the tractor (this time)…..

Tell me how plowing with a tractor is going to help you learn how to plow with your horse!

…and What time frame? This is New England. Even if it takes you two weeks, ala Erik’s suggestion, so what, there is still time.

Part of successful farming with draft animals is being realistic, and not letting unrealistic expectation drive us to justifying compromise. I truly know where you are coming from, but I do have ground that has over twenty years of petroleum free cultivation. The reward is too great to compromise….in my mind.

Carl

Reminds me of our last years experience of plowing 😮
    neither the oxen nor I knew what we were supposed to do; the old farmer, who at least had been plowing half a century ago was on the plowhandles and helped with his knowledge; his son helped drive the oxen; after an exhausting afternoon (remember 3!people and 2 oxen and btw. 3 different plows) we had managed to cover 6 rows ….. the size of the field used to be a days work, and we had barely touched it……nonetheless, we will practise again 😉 but my admiration for the old folks grew quite a bit

jac
    Participant

Hey Jen if we’re all honest we’v all had days like that…when I tried out our old “Dux” plow for the 1st time it was a disaster. The mares knew what to do but I didnt. For me the most important thing is not to fall out with the horses and end the day on a good note.. BTW your description of the event was pure classic comedy and had me in stitches.. please forgive me.. I know I shouldt have laughed but the way you wrote it:) best of luck next time out…John

mitchmaine
    Participant

hi jen, you could try backin’ up till something worked well again, like going back to your instructor with his plow to get reno going again. or having your guy come with his plow to your place and helping you there. if its any cosolation, i was plowing night before with a plow i’ve had for years, and one side stopped plowing well. i kept adjusting it til i forgot where i started with it. so i was lost. i kept going with the one side and yesterday, by some miracle, which might just have been a nights sleep, it started going again, but i can’t tell you why and thats the aggravating part. must be the stars and planets. good luck, mitch

jen judkins
    Participant

@Carl Russell 18071 wrote:

Tell me how plowing with a tractor is going to help you learn how to plow with your horse!

I meant to pull the walking plow with the tractor. At least I would get an idea of how the plow works without having to concentrate on Reno. As you said, maybe it is the plow.

A better idea would be to have someone come over and help…one person drive Reno and the other plow. I guess I’m feeling better this morning….ready to try again….at least mentally. My back is killing me!:rolleyes:

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Jenn, After 15 years as a teamster I would say plowing is one thing I am still not very good at. Here are some of the reasons why. I have only plowed an acre and a half in the last three years. Almost none for the ten years before that. Two different plows, but no really good plows. Hard rocky ground with a fair portion of clay, and I am always breaking sod. Different horses or mules each time. Since I am a dairy farmer that sells grass after it has been made into meat and cheese I don’t beat myself up about my bad plowing.

Having said all that, plowing with one horse is a unique challenge that will all ways be difficult. With a lot of experience, an excellent horse, a good plow of the right size, and reasonable ground (not sod), it might be a fun skill to master. Part of what makes it so hard is the fact that you are looking for a high degree of precision and a high physical effort at the same time. If you are trying to move a log that takes a lot of effort you can give the horse some room (loose lines) to get rolling; do that with the plow and it will be all over. Each time you try to make a slight correction, the horse is checked and soon gets confused. I like to solve these problems with more horses; but that has it’s own complications.

I am not trying to be negative, and I would encourage you to continue working at it as long as you think you can continue to improve. Just wanted to point out that what you are trying to do is hard for very specific reasons and you can think about each one. Good luck.

Jean
    Participant

Hi Jen, Is there something you and Reno can do together first, that will get your connection back and get Reno settled. Take for a trip around the neighborhood with the forecart. Not enough to wear him out, but enough to stretch his legs. Then hook him to the plow. You will have gotten the feel of the lines, taken some deep breaths and had some joy. Then move to the plow with a goal of just getting some steps right. Plow until it feels good.

OldKat
    Participant

@jenjudkins 18077 wrote:

I meant to pull the walking plow with the tractor. At least I would get an idea of how the plow works without having to concentrate on Reno. As you said, maybe it is the plow.

A better idea would be to have someone come over and help…one person drive Reno and the other plow. I guess I’m feeling better this morning….ready to try again….at least mentally. My back is killing me!:rolleyes:

Amazing what a good nights sleep will do for you, isn’t it?

My bet is that you will figure it out. You’re one of those people that we have a saying about where I come from; “She ain’t got no quit in her”, meaning you don’t give up easily.

Let us know WHEN the patch is plowed, because I’m sure you WILL get it plowed!

near horse
    Participant

Hi Jen,

Hang in there, Remember, there are a lot of things worse than a bad day working with draft animals – in fact, when the dust settles, just working them makes life not so bad.

I do feel your frustration and have felt it plenty myself. In my case, I think it does come from the expectations as Carl says.

Is it possible to have someone drive Reno while you run the plow? Or vice versa? You’re trying to do 2 challenging things at once – hard to pay attention to both and evaluate what’s going on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.