Do golden retrievers have any health concerns?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Other Working Animals Do golden retrievers have any health concerns?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dylanalexander55
    Participant

I was wondering if golden retrievers have any health concerns. Like in the legs or something? I have this book that says general care and about worms and stuff, but it doesn`t say anything about health concerns.

Patrick
    Participant

I work in an animal emergency hospital. We see far too many Goldens die of cancer, usually lymphoma or hemangiosarcoma. Sometimes the owners’ only sign that there is a problem is sudden death due to an internal bleed from a ruptured tumor that they had absolutley no idea about. Understandably, the families are usually devestated. A former boss lost her two Goldens at a young age, within 6 months of each other, both from cancer. I often cringe when I see families come in with a sick Golden, knowing that we are probably about to shatter their world with the news that we have to break.

near horse
    Participant

We’ve had 2 GR crosses (with Pyranees) – great dogs but both developed osteosarcoma (bone cancer). Fiona at age 7 yrs and her brother Chumley right now at age 11-12 yrs.

Vicki
    Participant

Goldens are prone to have bad knees (stifle joints.) Tear the ACS. Mine does; I limit his running and walking–no long hiking trips anymore.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.