Do you use some sort of fly treatement on your steers?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Animal Health Do you use some sort of fly treatement on your steers?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ivy
    Participant

My cows don’t seem too bothered by flies out in the pasture, and aside from some fly strips in the barn, I haven’t been using anything. But they drive my boy crazy when I take him out to work. I’m making him a spray on one out of tea tree oil and garlic (yum) that I read about on a horse care page. But I wanted to know if anyone had a favourite natural or synthetic fly treatment. I’ll let you guys and gals know how the home made stuff worked.

Carl Russell

We use a blend of natural essential oils, that we spray on our cows, but I never use anything on my working cattle or horses. I just can’t keep the bottle with me, and I always forget on days when I really need it, and on other days I get it all over my hands, and then in my mouth. And flies and cattle have been doing this dance for bazillion years, so I don’t think it is really such a big deal.

I never have had any really bad situation either, where the cattle seemed so distracted or anything. They stepped in a hornets nest once, now that woke them up a bit, but even then they were under control and just moved with a little more intention until we got out of the range of influence.

Carl

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I use the 0.5% pyrethrin spray that you can get at Tractor Supply or other places, mostly on their legs and withers. I have a small brush that I spray and then put some on their face around the eyes. My sense is that when they are in the yoke they can’t swing their head or do some of the other things that they would normally do to chase the flys so if I can take some of that pressure off it is good for all of us. I have tried some of the mixtures of household ingredients that I have seen in various places on-line. I thought they were relatively expensive and not very effective.

Vicki
    Participant

I do what Tim does, and for same reasons. Tried a vinegar concoction once, and couldn’t stand the stench.

near horse
    Participant

For horses we use Tri-Tec from Farnum – I think it’s a pyrethrin product and it works well. Just sweats off too easy I think. Our horses hate horse and deer flys so much that if one buzzes them while grazing, they run back to their loafing shed and “hide”.

Nice one w/ the hornets, Carl! Your oxen must be pretty mellow to take it in stride like that. Yellowjackets and hornets are the worst here when working in the woods in August/Sept. They get really aggressive and like to sting ya while you’re limbing or bumping knots.

Scott G
    Participant

Bronco, it has permethrin and pyrethrin. Apply twice a day when its buggy. Definitely helps with the attention span when working. Second Geoff’s comments regarding our yellow jackets. September is bad and they always seem to have their nest in your skid trail………
    -Scott

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.