Donkey’s for light logging?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Other Working Animals Donkey’s for light logging?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cayuga26
    Participant

Ok I just found this site and it looks pretty good. Nice to see so much interest in the old ways of things.

Now I have virtualy no experiene eather logging or using draft animals but I was curious if anyone has any experience using a team of donkeys (standard’s) for small scale logging. And if so what kind of equipment would be needed.

LaNette
    Participant

I’ve had first hand observation of watching donkeys (usually as a single) snigging logs for individual family needs in Guatemala and Tanzania. You won’t see a whole lot a difference between how we do it and them except the quality of the harness and the equipment they use. They are not logging for commercial purposes (not that they wouldn’t sell the wood if they could find a buyer) they were just taking what they needed. I saw one little donkey drag a timber (5 inches at the base and about 21 feet long) along a highway to his owner’s farm. The donkey had a neck collar made of thick manila rope with small diameter rope knotted to that. Traces were made of rope too.

My horse and two mules really enjoy pulling logs and farm equipment (like harrows) they look forward to that type of work and really get after it in their neck collars. I imagine a lot of donkeys would be the same way.

LaNette

Rod
    Participant

I have tried pulling small firewood size logs with our donkey (single). If the load is small enough and he can get it started it worked ok. But I put him on a 8″ hardwood log about 10′ long and he couldn’t or wouldn’t start it. Would not get down and dig in like he needed to. That could be my fault or a training issue I don’t know.

cayuga26
    Participant

That is all interesting to note. I kind of figured if the load was small enough it could work.

My next question though involves weather and how well a Donkey can work in the winter months. I live in southern Ontario so I guess that is definatly a consideration into the difference between a horse and a donkey for logging purposes.

Rod
    Participant

We used our Donkeys in winter to pull our sleigh with no problem. But the do need some shoes for traction.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

I just joined here… and am learning to use my standard-sized donkey for farm work, includng snigging firewood logs… perhaps we can keep each other posted here? Mine is a 4 yo standard spotted jack, heading here to central Idaho from Texas (boy is HE in for a surprise {snow}). 😮

Rod
    Participant

@Robert MoonShadow 4246 wrote:

I just joined here… and am learning to use my standard-sized donkey for farm work, includng snigging firewood logs… perhaps we can keep each other posted here? Mine is a 4 yo standard spotted jack, heading here to central Idaho from Texas (boy is HE in for a surprise {snow}). 😮

Hi Robert

I have been reviewing old Donkey posts and wondered how you are doing with yours. I am especially curious as to how they are working out with the heaver tasks like pulling fire wood logs etc. Do you use them as a team?

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Hi. I’m just getting my 2 girls {1 is 52″/650 lbs./9 y.o. – the other is 50″/765 lbs. (needs to lose 100#) & 17 y.o.} trained up on their pulling…actually, with Kinsey (the mother) it’s a refresher course. I only have an old oversized harness I’m using for the basic ground-training while paying off the team D-harness I’m buying from someone on this site. I’m going after my long-overdue male down in Texas this spring, so there’ll be 3 to work with. I’m also in the process of making a deal with a guy that owns 160 acres of land here that was burnt in a major wildfire in ’07 = I log off & salvage for firewood – I get 20 acres. This is if we can agree on the price for the 20 acres/firewood value, etc.
    Anyways, I’ll be doing this this summer in between the trailwork, then as I go full-time to farming next year, I’ll spend more time with this; I’ll gladly keep you all posted on it, perhaps start a seperate thread on it, if anyone’s interested?

perhaps start a seperate thread on it, if anyone’s interested?

😀 me! curious…….

OldKat
    Participant

I would be interested in reading of your progress, too. I always find your posts to be interesting, informative, humorous and witty. If not all of those in each post, at least most have one or more of those qualities! 😉

BTW: Where is your Texas donkey currently residing? i.e. what part of the state? If he isn’t more than a couple of hundred miles from me I might just drive over and have lunch with you while you are here.

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

OldKat: He’s near Dallas.
    I’ll post a new thread on the donks, today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.