down sizing

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Im switching breed from Clydes to a Swedish draft,, thanks to our own Simon Lenihan BTW :o…. has anyone else on here went from full sized drafts to a smaller breed .. any thots on the machinery side of things… these horses seem to be capable of a lot of work… thanks in advance people because this site rocks !!!!!… John

Marshall
    Participant

I don’t know how much smaller the Swedish drafts are, but I think I would give a try with the equipment you have. They may need a rest a little more often, but those of us using horses arn’t in a hurry anyway. For heavier work you may just have to add the third.

drafthorsey
    Participant

Jac …… Hadn’t heard of the Swedish Draft before your post. Googled them and I can see why you’d take a look at them. They at least have the feather of the Clydes. Guess they come in several colors too. Thought of some expiramenting with an off breed but thought it might be hard to find parts. I really liked the Russian Draft for shape and style. Thought it might be good for planting and haying but stuck with Belgiums. I Googled a couple of pictures of the Swedes, and if I can figure out how to post them I will. Good luck, and maybe at worst you were ready for a new adventure. Now you get to learn all the nuances of the breed.
    E. C.
    🙂

jac
    Participant

yea the Russian draft looks pretty cool but getting breeding stock from there would be nigh on impossible.. some of the swedish drafts are mistaken for swedish arrdenes.. will keep you all up to date when we … thats me an Simon bloody Lenihan 🙂 … coz he made me see the light haha…get a couple of mares sorted out..John

Marshall
    Participant

Simon sounds like one of my Amish friends. He is bound and determine I am going to get rid of the haflingers and get some belgians.

Osterby Smedja
    Participant

Just for information. The North Swedish horse develop around 15,5 hp, the Ardennes horse 14,7. The measurements of different horses pulling power was made at the Swedish stallion station WÃ¥ngen.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.