Draft Horse Folk Lear Dictionary

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums The Front Porch Off Topic Discussion Draft Horse Folk Lear Dictionary

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sue Brennan
    Participant

Hi everyone, Was talking to my friend Lizzy about negotiating for a older horse to buy. I told her to say “He is long in the tooth” and would go for $400.-$600. at action. After hanging up I wondered if she new what I was talking about. So I am looking for phrases use to describe a draft horse.
    Opinions are welcome. Even on what the title should be called. THANK YOU Suzie Brennan

? ? – Not sure on this, 6 yrs and younger? (Has 4 teeth in the front-3yr old)
    Horse still with caps- 6yrs old to 12yrs old
    Smooth mouth – Horse with no caps, 13 yrs old to 17 yrs old
    Long in the tooth – This is when the teeth start to protrude forward and get longer 18-30yrs old
    ?? – At some point the teeth get short in the mouth, very forward and is hard for the old horse to grab grass.
    Weak in the back – Not a nice straight back. Some time used in describing a breeding mare. Could be a “sway back”
    “Don’t place the lines down with this horse”. – Means that the horse is not trust worthy and has run off before.

j.l.holt
    Participant

anybody look at ‘galvines ridge’?

robie robinson
    Participant

Hows about the old adage,”worked hard and put away wet”.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.