Draft Horses vs Delivery Trucks

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Horses Draft Horses vs Delivery Trucks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chip Pinder
    Participant

Good Morning DAPNET,

A year or so ago I heard about an article that compares a team of draft horses vs a delivery truck efficiency. It was a study that showed that drafts were better at radius’ of up to 10 or so miles, both time wise and cost to operate. Does this sound familiar to anyone? It may have been a study done in France.

I am building a business/farm plan to startup my own draft horse powered business, and would like to link some of this information as a reference.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone seen a study on Carbon Sequestration and Draft Animals? I’ve found a Swedesh article on Drafts being far more renewable that tractors (60% Drafts compared to 9% tractor.

I tried to use the search feature, but I may be using the wrong search terms. Thanks!

Chip

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I would love to hear more about your business plan. The problem we all run into, is whose definition of efficient will we use; or sustainable, or profitable. The reasons people use draft animals can be complex, and they can be efficient, sustainable, and profitable; but only if you are able to place them in the right context. To me that context must include a broader view of ecology, economics, and community, than is often found in the standard business plan. Good luck.

Will Stephens
    Participant

I recall an article about a fellow who was able to win his municipal trash pick-up contract using his team due to lower overhead. Maybe Rural Heritage? I’ll try to find it. I too would love to hear more about your business plan.

Jay
    Participant

I believe the trash man is Pat Palmer in Bristol Vermont. He has had the town contract for trash pick up for some years. Thornapple farm is http://www.vthorsedrawnservices.com. He has some good info for starters anyway. Jay

dominiquer60

Hey Chip, it is great to see you here. We are looking forward to seeing you again at the Brooklyn Fair.

http://www.pressherald.com/2015/05/13/horse-drawn-garbage-wagan-picking-up-customers-in-vermont/

Pat Palmer does trash pick up in Middlebury, VT, and there are an increasing number of similar operations in Europe, specifically in France with Percherons.

What are you planning on delivering? If it is something heavy, drafts may be good for a few miles, but if farther, a pair of sturdy light horses may be more efficient. Long miles on pavement is not ideal for heavy horses, especially at the trot, they can develop a variety of leg and joint issues from the repetitive concussion of the feet on a hard surface.

We are in the processes of identifying a better way to us the search option, hopefully it will be easier in the future to find information easier.

Erika

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.