Drop Rings?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

Howdy,
    After reading about them in the latest Small Farmer’s Journal, I’m pretty impressed by the idea of drop rings, loops of leather with a ring attached that function to lower the position of the drive lines as they connect to the hames on the way to the bit. This strap connects to the ring where the lines normally pass, and then you pass the lines through the new ring, effectively “dropping” the lines and decreasing the upward pull of the bit in the horse’s mouth.
    Sounds like a good idea to me, and I’m in the market/cannibalizing old harness, to create 4 drops.
    My question is this: Have any of you worked with drop rings? What benifits and drawbacks have you found? I’m also planning to rig up line keepers back off the spiders. Thoughts on those?
    Thanks!

Carl Russell

I don’t like the keepers off the spiders, but I have been using drop lines for years. I only use them on the inside lines as the outer lines lay against the hames and really don’t drop down on their own. I have thought of making a hook from the market strap ring to actually hold the ring down, but have not found it necessary.

I have found the drop rings to work well, giving direct backward pressure instead of upward, taking the pressure off of the corners of the mouth, and also helping to keep the nose down when pulling.

Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

I use 2 sets of drop ringsl. The system I use is 1 double clip with a 2″ ring. 1 clip clips on the the hame, the other holds the ring through which your line passes. It’s cheap and works well. This idea came from Les Barden upon whose advice Doc Hammil wrote the article in SFJ. I like the drop rings for the reasons mentioned by Carl and what was stated in the article. I also use keepers (adjustable leather strap with a 2″ ring sewed in by my harness maker) clipped to the top of the britchen. I like them as they keep the lines above where they can sometimes snag on the harness.

George

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

I used drop rings for a few years with out realizing what exactly all the possible benefits were. I all ways thought of them as spreaders. The drop rings with short leather straps will change the spacing of your animals, which I think Doc H. mentioned in his article. Last year I had just about quit using them when I read the SFJ article. Now I am trying a slightly different version.

I get all my large rings from throw away bits. Old bits I have no interest in putting in a horses mouth. Those rings are a good size and weight for lines to go through. Then I used a very small and light threaded repair link to attach the new hames ring down lower were the spider comes off the hames. So far I have been pleased with how they work right there.

I wouldn’t like lines keepers on the back of the horse for a couple reasons. First I don’t want the extreme angles when I step well off to one side or the other. Second I don’t leave any lines on my harness when I take it off, so this would be one more thing to rig each day. I do have a couple odd bits where lines can catch. I use electrical tape or duct tape to hold those loose ends down. can you tell my horses don’t get to go in many parades!

Ira
    Participant

Yup, I use drop rings. Small ring on a repair link attached to the hames with a double end snap

Scott G
    Participant

I use keepers/drops off of the spider ring on the britchen for ground skidding single. Use bucket straps w/ 2″ rings which come about halfway down the hip. Keeps the lines handy & from getting wrapped/hung up while I’m setting chokers, etc.

Real or imagined, I think it is also an additional enhanced cue by better enabling me to put gentle line pressure on the outside hip for sharp inside turn.

Haven’t used them or seen a need for them off the britchen when driving & riding a rig. Used to use traditional short spreaders off the hames with a center drop on the cross lines when driving the team.

Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Hey you guys,
    The fact of you all being very articulate aside:D, photos of your setups would be great teaching tools. In your spare time, of course.
    Thanks,
    Mark

The fact of you all being very articulate aside, photos of your setups would be great teaching tools.

perfectly true 😉
    this time I know what you are talking about, but sure enough some names of equipment-parts keep me scratching my head and the official translation isn’t any help……so if it’s not too cumbersome….thank you in advance…..:D
    the other day, lighning struck me, when I realised the D-ring was not the ring on the hames but the ring on the bellyband/saddle; still wonder about Meader’s stock hook :confused:

grey
    Participant

Charly – that would be the hook that comes “stock” on the sidebacker harness that “Meader Supply” sells.

http://www.meadersupply.com/

The particular hook in question is the one that carries the jockey neck yoke. Circled in red in the photo below.

1_jack_strap_hook.jpg

thanks for the link and explanation – big help :rolleyes:

Carl Russell

Here are a few pics of the drop ring set-up I use.

45731_1561692488655_1425617324_1517777_4239827_n.jpg

45731_1561692528656_1425617324_1517778_4915353_n.jpg

45731_1561692568657_1425617324_1517779_689585_n.jpg

The rings hang down a good 8 inches below the rings on the hames. This puts the lines at an angle that pulls back on the jaw as opposed to upward at the corners of the mouth.

Carl

convinced…..will give it a try…..

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.