Dump cart

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Reva Seybolt
    Participant

I want to stop using my tractor and am looking for a replacement for my bucket where I can use the horses. Has anyone used a dump cart for small rocks, cut wood, dirt dirty hay, etc? Does anyone know where to buy one? what to look for? I worry that a one axle will put too much weight on the forecart, but the two axles seem heavy. what size and height?

Does’ Leap
    Participant

I don’t have any experience with dump carts, but I would not worry about a single axle cart if you found one. I use a single axle 85 bushel manure spreader on a forecart. It is well balanced and does fine with the forecart.

George

Jelmer
    Participant

Hello Reva,

Here are two examples of European dumpcarts:
    – A four wheeler in the video
    – A three wheeler in the link

Traditionally on the tree wheeler, “loose braces” or no shafts where used. I would suggest using shafts and pherhaps a brake. It makes a good turn.

They´re not made anymore, but could be inspirational for a custom made one.

Just an idea.
    Three
    wheeled dumpcart

Jelmer.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVLfLoAIS0A[/video]

Michael Low
    Participant

I had pioneer equipment fabricate a dump cart axle with 4′ steel wheels around 6 years ago. I like it a lot. I use it with a pole and a team of oxen. For the oxen you want the body balanced forward of center around 6″. This keeps the weight from pulling up on their yokes and choking them. Even with a 2000lb load their really isn’t too much weight on the pole, just enough to keep it pushing down.

Also I just bought a $250 poly dump from DR Power that is around the size of two wheelbarrows. It has a tractor hitch. I haven’t used it yet but it seems rugged. It is made by Ohio Steel.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Will Stephens
    Participant

Jelmer,
    The articulated dump body of the four wheeler is very cool, resulting in no real shaft/pole movement for the horse. Same feature on the three wheeler? I have not seen this feature so have been looking for a four wheel dump trailer for stability but I like the maneuverability of a three wheeler.

Jelmer
    Participant

Hello Will,

I´m not sure that I understand your question. Do yo mean there is no weight of the load on the horse its shaft or pole?

The idea with this type of cart with three or four wheels, is that the weight of the wagon and load is on the wheels. And not on the horse it´s back, like it is with the two wheeled carts.
    The draft animal only pulls the load. See link:

Drawing of tree wheeled dumb cart

Will Stephens
    Participant

Jelmer,
    It’s the lifting of the shafts/pole when dumping I would like to avoid. What I have seen around me seam to assume a heavy vehicle will be attached to the cart to keep the front (tongue in that case) from lifting.

Jelmer
    Participant

Allright, now I see.

You´e right Will.
    The heavy frame and the possition of the hinge on the frame prevent the shafts/pole from lifting.
    The link of the 3 wheeled dumbcart has a frame where a big beam is connected to the front wheel. That´s the counter balance.

I´ve worked with such a dumb cart on flat grounds (Netherlands). There it was often used with no shafts or pole. While dumbing the cart the the frame did not lift.
    Ofcourse, I would suggests using shafts or a pole for safety on better braking and on slope grounds.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.