Electrolytes and working in the summer heat

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    fogish
    Participant

The summer heat is upon us and I thought this would be a benefit to all of our working equine. It’s a short intro article with a link to a PDF file covering water intake and electrolyte supplementation for working horses, especially working in the heat.

http://www.extension.org/pages/17929/water-intake-and-electrolyte-supplementation-for-horses

Kyle
    Participant

I once spoke with a very reputable livestock supplement company about purchasing a few of their products including an electrolyte mix. The nutrition consultant could have tried to sell me any number of products they carry. Instead he recommended mixing up a good old fashion batch of switchel. For those of you unfamiliar, its a drink traditionally had at haying time. He said Water with a little apple cider vinegar mixed w honey, molasses, maple syrup, or sugar will provide all the electrolytes an animal (or person) needs and is much more cost effective than purchasing electrolyte mixes. I like to ad a little mint and drink it myself whenever I feel dehydrated.
    Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.