Elm for double tree?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I am hoping to build a new wooden double tree and the only dry hardwood that I have is an elm. Any reason why this wont make a strong double tree? It is strong in pole form but Im not sure how it holds up once I cut it down flat and drill some holes?

Thanks

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

It seems like a good wood to me. Will you cover the center hole with small metal plates? On the ends you can use plates or metal straping?

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I was going to use plates in the center and through bolts on the ends to reduce splitting, Basically I am pulling the hardware off of my “store bought” evener and putting it on a homemade wider version.

Jay
    Participant

I have no idea how well elm holds up when wet. It is great as I understand it for not splitting- it’s almost impossible to split for firewood. Used to be used for wheel hubs.

Crabapple Farm
    Participant

Because of the cross grain, elm resists splitting very well. However, it can twist and warp quite a bit with moisture changes – probably not a problem in this instance. If it stays wet, it holds up very well – some of Venice is built on Elm pilings (under salt water). But in an equipment-that-lives-outside setting, expect it to lose strength relatively quickly. Freshly dead elm doesn’t split, but if it’s dead for over a year it splits much easier. Standing dead elms start having branches snap and drop after 18 months or so (we’ve got a lot of dead elm around here from Dutch elm disease), so I wouldn’t trust a double tree that had been living outside for much more than that, unless well oiled or painted.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I was thinking the same thing about the lack of rot resistance because of my experience with the dead trees around. It is all I have dry for now so I will give it a try and oil it up.

Thanks

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.