Equipment for the single mule

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules Equipment for the single mule

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Andy Carson

Rod, I think the travois design has alot of potential, especially for a single. I have a couple thoughts about the particular design you got a picture of. Although I have never seen a Norwegian style harness pull a heavy load, I have always been sceptical of how (and if) they allow the front shoulders to move freely without using a singletree. Maybe they do, and that’s great, but if I was making this I would put a singletree at the base of the travois and use some holdback straps to provide braking. Next, I am not sure where the logs go in this design. I think they go underneath but the arch doesn’t seem very tall (maybe it’s the angle)… I think I would make the crossmember a little taller and use it like a logging arch. That gives you lift on the front of the log, probably provides substantial draft buffering, and suspends some of the weight onto your frame. Lastly, I would think about putting some wheels on the ends of the travois (which I guess means it’s not a travois anymore). Holding it back unloaded ought to be no trouble at all and when it’s loaded, part of the log will be dragging. The wheels will make a big difference in how much you can pull, especially if there is much weight suspended. They would also allow you to back up (unloaded), which is pretty nice. I think your previous idea would work too, there are probably lots of ways to get this particular job done.

One last thought. I think this design would be better if it was “beefier” in general. It seems especially weak with respect to lateral bending of the front shafts.

Rod
    Participant

@Countymouse 20459 wrote:

Rod, I think the travois design has alot of potential, especially for a single. I have a couple thoughts about the particular design you got a picture of. Although I have never seen a Norwegian style harness pull a heavy load, I have always been sceptical of how (and if) they allow the front shoulders to move freely without using a singletree. Maybe they do, and that’s great, but if I was making this I would put a singletree at the base of the travois and use some holdback straps to provide braking. Next, I am not sure where the logs go in this design. I think they go underneath but the arch doesn’t seem very tall (maybe it’s the angle)… I think I would make the crossmember a little taller and use it like a logging arch. That gives you lift on the front of the log, probably provides substantial draft buffering, and suspends some of the weight onto your frame. Lastly, I would think about putting some wheels on the ends of the travois (which I guess means it’s not a travois anymore). Holding it back unloaded ought to be no trouble at all and when it’s loaded, part of the log will be dragging. The wheels will make a big difference in how much you can pull, especially if there is much weight suspended. They would also allow you to back up (unloaded), which is pretty nice. I think your previous idea would work too, there are probably lots of ways to get this particular job done.

One last thought. I think this design would be better if it was “beefier” in general. It seems especially weak with respect to lateral bending of the front shafts.

Hi CM

Funny I didn’t see it as an arch at all but thought of it as a cord wood device laid crosswise. I agree the wheels would seem to be an improvement. As an arch the lift on the shafts at the horse end would be an issue. The load size for this one would be small but for a short haul might be something that would be handy.

Andy Carson

I was thinking something like this. Looks pretty slick. I still have a hard time seeing how the shoulders are free without a singletree, but that could be added.

Rod
    Participant

@Countymouse 20465 wrote:

I was thinking something like this. Looks pretty slick. I still have a hard time seeing how the shoulders are free without a singletree, but that could be added.

Same idea improved I guess.

Rod
    Participant
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.