Extend PTO I and J GD Cart

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Extend PTO I and J GD Cart

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Has anyone extended the pto shaft to the back frame on the I&J ground drive cart? I am test driving one and it seems like it would work better with the PTO extended back onto the rear frame. Is there a reason it is so far up front?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Why do you feel this would work better? If you look at the tractor the hitch is much longer than the PTO shaft. If you make it longer you may find some shaft don’t telescope down short enough.

Hopewell Farm
    Participant

Jared, short answer is absolutely I extended the pto shaft on my I&J cart. I added an additional pillow block at the back of the platform and had the stock cart pto shaft extended at a local machine shop. Only guessing but I would assume they terminated it under the platform for safety, so the joint of the implement shaft would be somewhat protected when in operation. Or rather you would be protected from it. But I found on hilly ground it didn’t take much for the implements pto shaft to hit the back of the platform. I am sure that the original design works great on flat ground, but since I don’t have flat ground on our farm it basically was useless to me without extending the cart pto shaft. I will try to post a few pictures this weekend if I have time.

John

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Thanks John, I put a pto clutch on today so that the brush hog wont drive the wheels forward and now it is far enough back where the shaft doesnt seem like it will hit the frame. I am just borrowing the cart for a test drive so I dont want to start to modify it until I have bought it. So far it works for spinning the brushhog when I pull it by hand but it will definately be a tough pull through anything thick. Once the heat breaks a little I will give it a real test drive with the horses.

Anyone else have any modifications that they have made to the I and J carts that work well?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.