Extreme Logging = Sensationlism

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Books/Resouces Extreme Logging = Sensationlism

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

I suspect many members of this forum watched the Discovery Channel Extreme Logging piece last night. This was another dose of entertainment dumbed down to the average consumer’s numbed mindset of only being able to pay attention to something that is shocking, bizarre and about sensational portrayals of human activity. This media is obviously made for superficial viewers and not – thinking individuals. TV often seems to be directed to the dumbest sector of our society as an audience.

I suppose part of my angry is that we spent a considerable amount of time preparing for this potential media, which included clearly defining our work as not what the Dirty Jobs guys did.

I am not knocking the old boys in Tennessee, in fact I am glad they are doing anything with animals. They had some pretty good mules. My point is that given hours of conversations between Pilgrim and Discovery producers, myself and at least six other practitioners of mule, oxen and horse logging they chose to use the same old boys from down south. They certainly conveyed the same message of anyone that does this work is employed in an occupation of last resort more than people with a commitment to environmentally sensitive or ecologically restorative principles and purpose in their choice of jobs. Part of the drama was about people not showing up for work. How refreshing and inspiring (sarcasm).

So my first response which I admit is a bit honestly sour grapes about this was directed to the primary producer that honestly I spent hours talking on the phone and exchanging emails with. This response to their interest included actually scheduling an event upon their request where we arranged to include horse, mules and oxen logging in a sustainable way.

Our primary purpose is to make a living – with the greatest regard being to the entire living ecosystem the forest is and with the excitement and danger being incidental and natural to the work in the context of being a safe operator first.

After over thirty years in this occupation of animal powered logging the one obvious experience is that positive media exposure is extremely rare.

I won’t share the email written directly to this producer with my indignation over their choice of this same fellow (probably doing the best he can) and yet being a weak portrayal of this cultural skill that everyone in the industry will have to respond to so many times in the future. I was to mad when I wrote it last night to share with this board. The producer earned that scathing letter.

But our critique is mostly focused on the subjects being “high graders” by
    just cutting the “select” veneer trees. This image and approach taints the
    entire community of interest since many TV viewers will now think this is what everyone that logs with animals does, heck they saw it on TV, that must be what they all do….. There was no mention of methods to keep the work safe and must have been qualified as successful at least five times by the statement “nobody got kilt”. I am surprised they didn’t used the famous rednecks last words: “watch dis”

It was just another piece of sensationalized media that was shallow and hollow and in the end a disservice to anyone doing or interested in doing this work for a living. This includes Mr. Butt (mule logger) himself because every conventional forester that sees this will now have evidence when they say – see I told you those animal powered folks were all “high graders”.

In my explanation of dissatisfaction over the show to the Pilgrim films producer, I mentioned that the forest that has been previously high graded was set up in a condition that to conventional foresters use to justify “even aged management” or clear cutting. Discovery now although unwittingly, has inevitably added to the thousands of acres that will be clear cut, as well as diminishing the likelihood that anyone that is slightly interested in animal powered logging will have a fair playing field to enter the business, without battling to convince landowners that they don’t do what the Extreme Mule Loggers on Discovery do.

Frankly I don’t think they (modern media) care about overall impact of their media, they are just doing their jobs and going with the easiest story to tell/sell. The truth is always one of deeper meaning and harder to define and make sensational than sound bite stuff that grabs attention and in the end makes the subjects look dumber than the dumb audience that buys the story as the way it is out there for the mule loggers….

Ok – this is sour grapes on my part, but after they decided to not use our group for the documentary we had to remind ourselves that grape vines are not beneficial to growing the best timber anyway and to just cut them off the best trees that we joyously leave for the future harvest…… The gist of this analogy is that if you want good media about your work, you will probably have to produce it yourself…… which is what we are trying to do with the series for RFD on the Rural Heritage show and even that was dulled down by the eventually shown version being much lower definition that the original that we sent them…. But we will continue to do what we do and educate anyone interested in why we do it this way.

It is often said that all publicity is good, but I don’t agree. This publicity did nothing good for animal powered culture and probably to the contrary lessened the overall image and impact these biologically powered methods can actually be.

It will be interesting to hear any other DAP views if they saw this show. Don’t worry, it will rerun over and over and you will get a chance to see it again if you have or know someone that has cable. If you don’t – just keep doing your own thing with your animal powered practices and don’t feel like you really missed much….

dominiquer60

I feel your pain Jason,

I did not see it last night, so rarely does the TV ever turn on in my apartment. I have been in a similar position before, only small scale non Discovery channel media, some publicity is bad indeed. Lets hope that we can overcome this poor sensationalism. Word of mouth still works, its just slower, I take every chance I get to educate the ignorant yet slightly interested. I have seen this make a difference and will continue to open my mouth when those that don’t know any better say something negative against local food or truly green practices.

Erika

416Jonny
    Participant

Well Jason, I saw the commercial for it earlier that day and said to myself: “I’m gonna watch that!”

While I watched the show, I got to thinking about what everyone on the forum would be thinking!

You certainly pointed out a lot of what I was thinking, but couldn’t quite get into coherent sentences. It just felt wrong watching it. I’m a fan of some good ol’ boys getting work done, but it seemed like I was watching a petting zoo with endangered species. In Manhattan.

“Oooooo….look at the loggers, they’re using mules! Awwww…..how quaint!”

Leaves an odd taste in the mouth, like sucking on a greasy penny.

What makes me wonder, is who but us (and those immediatly around us) wants to see the message that needs to get across? This is a point that I think needs to get addressed. There needs to be a certain amount of showmanship in order to get people interested in the content and message. Unfortunatly that show was all hoopla and not much info.

What would it take to get our own message out on tv?

Ideally the loss of access of oil would make what the people on this forum do all the sudden really interesting!

The show was about “extreme loggers” and followed the story of the loggers. Now, if it were “extreme draft animal loggers”, the show would have tanked in my book. Although, as far as being “extreme loggers”, they seemed not all that extreme. Maybe not all that bright, but extreme, no. “Nobody got killed” is something you say to make yourself feel better after a car wreak, not towards something you’re trying to take pride in and make a living. They all seemed like they didn’t really want to be there, except the greenhorn. But my opinion and conclusions are skewed by wanting to see the mules get stuff done, not the loggers.

I was really excited to see the show when the commercials for it were running. The show turned into a let down. The hung up tree got almost as much air time as the mules did.

Shows are made by show biz people, not teamsters (just using the general term, not meaning to exclude the mule and oxen folk out there). It will never look how we want it to. We can try though, right?

dominiquer60

It’s on tonight at 2am EST, The next episode is on logging with helicopters and the next about swamp logging. On the schedule they briefly describe the show “When big equipment won’t cut it, its time to bring in the mules.”

Thistledog
    Participant

I won’t get to watch the show being waaaay over here in Armed Forces Network land, but your synopsis of the portrayal made it easy to imagine… and I hate to say I’m not surprised. I’m a fan of Discovery at times but have NEVER enjoyed their penchant for Big, Biggest, Baddest and most Amazing – i.e., sensationalism no matter what the subject. How disheartening and for all the reasons you mentioned; because this perception will stick with viewers, and it’s not what we want out there, not even close.

Damnit Jim. But I just had a brainstorm as I read your post, Jason; what y’all need is an Indie producer, and I’ve got just the one for you: Participant Media. Their tagline is “The leading provider of entertainment that inspires and compels social change.” Tagline continues: “Participant believes that a good story well told can truly make a difference in how one sees the world. Whether it is a feature film, documentary or other form of media, Participant exists to tell compelling, entertaining stories that also create awareness of the real issues that shape our lives.” They did An Inconvenient Truth, which I know you liked, and breaking news just in, they’ve just received funding support from the Abu Dhabi Media company Imagenation to the tune of 250M, for an additional 15 – 18 features.

Biological Woodsmen and Restorative Forestry could be one of those good stories told well. I dare you: write them about your dissatisfaction with the Discovery Channel’s piss-poor attempt at showcasing this craft, send them some of your clips, and make a case for a feature that they’ve probably never thought of but has huge potential. In the hands of expert cinematographers and producers, the forest and horses and honest working people caring about the environment and their communities and the future of the earth – that’s a winner, that could make people sit on the edge of their chairs with a lump in their throats.

ArtieT
    Participant

Thistledog has a huge point! We need to be blowing our own horn. For the past 4 years we have had an open house at our farm showcasing animal power – in particular logging. We have had over 100 people each year here to see what we are doing. At the outset I always ask “who is here for the first time?” and at least 75% answer affirmatively. So we have exposed over 300 individuals to sustainable farming and forestry – just us! These are people who have no idea where their meat, eggs, dairy and fibre come from – we are not preaching to the choir! After each event we get letters – and this year gifts – of thanks from some who attended. Most thinking individuals really do need to know that there are those out there like us – all of us – doing what we do. The mentally numb folks that watch extreme anything don’t care about where their wood or food comes from and they most likely are not in the position to make any real change, so influencing those individuals is not necessary. We need to be showing those that give a dam what we are doing and then they can take it from there.

Carl Russell

Having no access to network TV, I will never get to see it, but I can just say that we have been up against cultural stigma ever since the tractor manufacturers started depicting horsemen as hayseeds.

If you’re not preaching to the choir, you selling. I love preaching to a choir because it is an experience that everyone can grow from.

I guess my take-home here is don’t trust people who make their income from selling imagery.

As individual operators we are at all times the face of our community. If we keep that in mind, present ourselves thoughtfully, and with purpose, we will be doing the best we can.

Carl

ArtieT
    Participant

Selling? – you bet we are! We are selling a way of life that is rapidly going extinct. We are selling healthy food alternatives. We are selling to the very people our existance is dependant upon. We are selling to those people who were compelled to testify to our local planning and zoning commission that the pzc’s proposed agriculture regulations were ridiculous (they were, but that’s another post). We are selling to those people that told our local politicos that we should have a farmers market in town. We are selling to those people that took the time to show up at town meeting to elect me to a full term on our planning and zoning commission. Yup – we are selling and proud of it. In my opinion Jason was selling as well. Jason has an outstanding product that needs to be sold. The frustration is that what ultimately was sold was garbage. Anyone who has a business and holds themselves to the highest standards knows that frustration – but we can’t give up – none of us can!!!!! We need to sell ourselves and what we do. We cannot just plod along and hope it all works out.

Carl Russell

I guess my experience is a bit different. I know that my ideas work because I put them to work for myself, and I am fine with that alone. I have never felt the need to convince anybody that what I am doing is what they should be doing, nor that they should support me in what I do.

However, I am constantly approached by people who want to know about what I do, or want me to help them by providing service or product. I don’t think that the value of a product is judged by how well it sells, in fact many times it is the opposite.

I do understand the feeling that we are on the fading edge of a life of reason, but twenty years ago I decided to let that feeling go, and to set the best example I knew that I could, just in case someone noticed, but in the doing, I knew I would be true to the cause of saving the skills and techniques of an Earth-based livelihood.

I have never advertised, but I haven’t hidden either, and I’m turning away work, and projects like NEAPFD and DAP have come together as a result of interaction with a growing number of people who “get it”. I really see the advertising we do as connecting with others waiting to be connected to, letting them know what is happening, not trying to attract them.

I just prefer not trying to convince anybody, and find much more reward from interaction with individuals who are working toward a mutual goal, even if some days it’s just a couple of horses.

The problem I see with big media is that the sale has more to do with financial return from momentary interest, than from lasting intellectual impact. If the idea doesn’t sell, it is seen as valueless. It may be worthwhile for some, I just see it as a tricky sell, and potentially damaging.

And I figure if I’m going to preach, at least I know the choir will listen, and then they’ll sing.

Carl

coondog
    Participant

I have read some of these posts and for the life of me can’t figure out what point some of you people want to get across.

The Discovery Channel did a good job showing the operation as a whole. I think most of the U.S. population knows nothing about mules and that is what maybe made it supposedly “extreme”.

I agree they did focus on the fallen tree for too long but it almost killed a camera man that wouldn’t get back after being told several times.

As far as noone wanting to be there? Try going about your everyday job with 4 cameras in your face and 15 crew members running around. Exciting? Yea for about a half hour!

As for “nobody got killed”. That has nothing to do with taking pride in your work. We were being filmed for a television show and doing our best to stay relaxed in a not so relaxed environment. Maybe it would have helped if we would have been intelligent enough to say something smart.

I however am smart enough to know that the show was about ratings and people like to see danger. That is something that will never change and us good ol boys will do our best to keep paying the bills.

THANKS FOR WATCHIN!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JN3IK61x_I

The Greenhorn

J-L
    Participant

They could have done a better job with regard to the positive aspects of the animal power, I agree. Maybe they could give an insight into the satisfaction and the low impact angles also.
    I have to admit that I was drawn in by the little team of mules. Those were some scrappy little animals.
    Watching those guys parbuckle the butt end on the truck was also good watching.
    My point is, that you could find some good tidbits for all of us.

I also have to admit that I’ve lodged many a tree like that ‘old boy’ did. And I cut them down just the same way he did, if I thought it was too dangerous to snatch them out with my team.

Was it fun? Yes, for me.

Could it have been done better (the show in particular)? Yes.

Would I watch another one? Yes.

Gooserun Farm
    Participant

I was able to watch the show last night and I have to say I enjoyed it. I did see a few things I questioned but I think anyone could find something to question on any of us if we were filmed for 3 or 4 days. Not trying to be arguementative but regarding high grading, I believe they were contracted to cut certain wood and that’s what they did. I might have misunderstood. I personally have cut for people when they wanted trees removed I would have left. Their land, their wood. They’re the boss. I was impressed by how the boss seemed willing to work with the greenhorn and teach him. (Sorry, I’m horrible with names.) When I worked at the butcher shop we used to say it was a good week if noone went to the hospital so the “noboby got kilt” phrase didn’t strike me much. All in all I thought the mule loggers did well considering the size of the wood and the added pressure of the film crew. Nice job fellows. 🙂

OldKat
    Participant

@416Jonny 3630 wrote:

Well Jason, I saw the commercial for it earlier that day and said to myself: “I’m gonna watch that!”

“Oooooo….look at the loggers, they’re using mules! Awwww…..how quaint!”

Leaves an odd taste in the mouth, like sucking on a greasy penny.

Not trying to diminsh anything you are saying here 416Jonny, but I think that is the funniest analogy I have ever seen on any forum, any where! I was laughing so hard I had to sit back and catch my breath. Which wouldn’t have been a problem except that I happened to be at work at the time & got some funny looks from some passerby’s.

cs2data
    Participant

I Tivo’d the show and finally got to see it today… I enjoyed it… Note: I am not a logger nor was I looking for “Mule Logging Best Practices and White Papers.”

It was “extreme” (or different, if you will) *for me* for a number of reasons: notably, THEY USED MULES. I’ve had four logging crews on my property in the past 10 years…there were no mules. The first crew smelled like billy goats…but no mules in sight.

Try calling your typical logger and mention select or residential cut and then wait for the uncomfortable silence…

The negative comments on here surprise me, but I am not part of that world.

Final thoughts: I own timber. I need some cut. The show reminded me that I don’t have to needlessly damage the land to remove a few trees….

Carl Russell

Thanks Coondog for posting that Youtube link, I enjoyed seeing the operation.

I can appreciate Jason’s Feelings about not getting a show to get across his message, but TV is really about entertainment, and we shouldn’t expect more.

I can appreciate Coondogs comments about trying to perform actual work in the presence of a film crew. We filmed a traditional harvest of a mast as part of a documentary on the building of a revolutionary war gun ship. The videographer kept asking me to stop and back up (!!) so he could get the same shot from a different angle.

The other aspect to this is that many photographers, and certainly producers and editor/publishers, see through the lens of the viewer/buyer.
    I have entertained several photographers over the years, taking pix for articles, etc., taking them into the woods in a real working situation where they can see the challenges of working animals in the woods, or how the use of a bobsled can give animals advantage, only to end up with a printed picture showing a kind eye of a stationary horse in perfect focus with a fuzzy image of a person in the background doing some uncertain thing. I know very few horse-loggers who would rather have a camera in their hands than lines, so it will be a long uphill trek to change the content of either printed or video media.

The other important thing to remember here I think, is that as members of a broad community of animal powered farmers and loggers, that we not let a huge media conglomerate create a presentation that drives a wedge between us. I applaud the mule loggers for getting some real work done, and also Jason for trying to advance a worthy message. Keep up the good work.

Carl

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.