eye-swivel-eye links

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Scott G
    Participant

I’ve been looking for a source of eye-swivel-eye links to build up some new logging rigging. Everything I’ve found so far is too small or weak. Looking for swivels in the 5/16 -3/8″ category at a minimum.

Been checking online and haven’t found much, even from supposed rigging shops.

What have you folks found?

grey
    Participant

Closed eyes?

mitchmaine
    Participant

marine hardware? galvanized dock rigging supplies? bath industrial sales, bath maine, handles some pretty rugged chain, dead eyes, swivels and ring bolts and so on. sometimes salvage from the iron works. might be worth a look.

mitch

Carl Russell

I get mine at the local hardware store… I have gotten them at the construction supply warehouse …..

I found this link…. China suppliers here

Here’s one for Ace Hardware… here

Carl

grey
    Participant

I got mine at the local Ace. Galvanized, like the one in Carl’s link.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Scott, what do you plan on making? I was given a swivel / chain grab that I use for ground skidding that prevents the log from twisting the evener if it rolls. I would like to have a second one on-hand, but haven’t seen anything like it for sale. Looking at those swivels, I suppose you could cut off one end and weld a chain grab (not sure if this the correct term?) The one I use is a piece of steel plate that has a nice deep groove in it so you don’t lose your chain.

George

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Seems like you could use a hammerlock with that George.

Mike Rock
    Participant

Carl,
    Your link to Ace Hardware led to the hooks and tools by CM. The hook forgings you could see detail on said ‘Forged…USA’. So I went to CM. It is Columbus McKinnon out of Amherst, NY, USA. Much of their equipment and hardware is from known USA sources and what is not they tell you where it was made. I love this company!!! You CAN get quality AMERICAN MADE hardware still today. Not Communist Chinese shit…….

Thank you so much for that link.

Now….I am looking for slip hooks with the extra eye on the back for logging and pulling use. I do not like welding an extra eye or loop on the back of a hook if I can avoide it. Would rather have it forged in when made. I am still looking at CM’s offerings but I HAD to say thank you for the link.

Most respectfully,
    Mike Rock
    SWissconsin

Carl Russell

I use a clevis at the evener, the swivel, a clevis, and a bitch link. It is a bit long, but easy to pick up, easy to hitch, and swivels very well. I bought a bunch of these swivels last year with the expectation that I would cut one eye, and weld in the bitch link, then cut off the other and weld a clevis on there….. needless to say…. haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ll post pics when I do.

Carl

Scott G
    Participant

Thanks guys, those are the type I’m looking for I just just need a higher WLL. None of the ag or hardware stores here carry any HD ones. Some of the larger ones in the Ace site might work. I was just trying to find something in a reasonable size that had a high WLL. Mitch, the marine rigging outfits are where I last left off and still might be the best best.

George, I’m putting together some multiple choker long lines to overhead blocks/lines as well as some low tech rope rigging with an improvised carriage for working some steep & nasty. Swivels just have a way of making everyone behave in the rigging…Could use another spare couple for my tongs, etc. to attach to a clevis as well rather than just slipping the ring in my grab hook.

In short, I just like options when it comes to rigging a unit

Bought one of David Miller’s HD grabs a couple of years ago. Worth the investment and he sure is a lot handier with his plasma cutter than I am with a torch…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.