Fabric barns

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

Does anyone have one of those newer hoop type fabric coverd structures? Any problems, especially here in the northeast with the snow load this winter?
    Are you happy with it, or sorry you spent the money? If you were to do it over again, would you do anything differently?

Rod
    Participant

Hi Patrick

I have a 27×40 one which is 4 years old. I bought it from a company in Canada, Omni Structures. It has steel trusses not single poles and a 7 year cover. It took 3 of us one day to put the frame up on the prepared base and another half day to add the covering. The model I bought has 4′ vertical sides which I covered with t-111 plywood and I filled in one end With a wood frame and siding and doors.

One thing I like include the light in the barn that comes through the cover. It was fast and easy to erect and has a pretty substantial frame, one which I think would take a sheet metal roof covering easily. The truss is the key to the strength.

It sheds snow off easily except what happened this year, the snow piled up at the bottom and built up over the roof covering. It got pretty heavy and when I was able to get at the sides with my Bobcat I shoveled out the lower snow pile so the stuff that had accumulated on the fabric could slide off.

You have to design around the issue of rain getting under the barn and onto your floor. What happens is the snow piles up at the sides of the barn, then when it rains the rain runs down the sides and is trapped by the snow dam and can outlet over the floor. Mine does and I have wet floors at times.

At one time I considered moving it to another location on the farm. I even considered a mass manpower operation where a large contingent of men would each pick up a part of the side and we would walk it to the new spot. Mabe it’s a good thing that I didn’t try it.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

We put up a 40 x 70 hoop structure several years ago and have been very happy with it. It is a clear span structure with no horizontal bracing. It’s main purpose is to house our dairy goat herd, but we have also housed sheep and beef cattle as well. We also have our two drafts in it in a tie stall. It is light, well ventilated and rugged. We had 38″ of snow on in one storm last winter with no problem. We studded up the ends of the barn and used shade fabric which lets in light and air, but provides protection as well. I put the structure up in 5 days with intermittent help from friends and family.

Patrick
    Participant

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I’m familiar with greenhouses, so the issues with snow around the perimeter I’ve already taken into consideration. My two big concerns other than snow load are fabric life and wind load. As they haven’t been around all that long, and we haven’t had a hurricane hit this area since they’ve been in popular use, I guess those questions will have to wait.

Rod, I can’t imagine trying your move on a windy day!

Rod
    Participant

Please don’t mention hurricanes, I lost one barn already this year and don’t want to think about what a hurricane would do to my barn inventory.

jason glick
    Participant

i’ve been using a fabric barn for the past few years and it has served it’s purpose but it has been a temporary fix for us. this is probably the last winter it will be up. we have it set up on a wind hill top and where ever the cover is moving there are where holes. it also seems like on this model there are too many connections to fail. all slip fittings have self tapping screws in them but with the constant movement of the frame many have worked there way out.. ours’ (24×30) is anchored in 6 locations using 3’auger type anchors buried in the ground. this time of year with saturated soil and high winds i wish it were more secure.. the light allowed by the fabric is nice except in august when it can get quite hot in there even when well ventilated.. it’s seems like the extra time and money involved in something wood and perminant is worth the effort.

Patrick
    Participant

That’s good to hear. Care to share the brand name?
    This brings up another issue of longevity, other than for the fabric. I guess that this too will have to wait a bit longer before people who have had them for 10 or more years can determine.
    What about issues with the service from the companies who you’ve purchased from? Especially for those who had them installed? Good, not so good?

Rod
    Participant

I don’t think there is any issue with longevity for the frame on mine. It’s all galvanized and inside the cover, should last indefinitely subject to being hit with the tractor or a hurricane. The manufacturer was very good with technical advice and extra parts such as the clamps I needed to attach the wood sides and end.

As far as would I do it again, probably not. I have built two wooden barns since I put the fabric one up at less cost and are better structures. However for a quick barn, clear of columns and with lots of head room they fill a need. Especially I would think as the barn gets bigger than mine where the construction of wooden barns get expensive fast.

Joshua Kingsley
    Participant

we have 2 truss arch buildings on our farm one is a 40 X 96 that covers our composting manure storage facility and a 60 X 90 that is a composting bedded pac for our dairy cattle. They are a truss type construcion and have akita covers with a 20 year warranty. Time will tell if they are a smart choice or not… The covers seem to be quite durable and if properly tensioned they should last.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.