Fair Winds Farm Draft Horse Workshops 2010

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Education Fair Winds Farm Draft Horse Workshops 2010

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    imported_Stella
    Participant

April 17, May 1, 15, 29: Draft Horse Workshop One Day Series – New this year! Get all the content of our 4 day workshops, one day at a time.

April 20-23: Draft Horse Workshop – Original format for those who prefer 4 days in a row.

May 21 & 22: Mowing With Horses – Intensive Workshop covering the basics of mowing with horses.

June 8-11: Draft Horse Workshop – Original format.

August 6-7: Draft Horse Workshop – Working Partnerships Intensive

August 14, 28, September 11, 25: Draft Horse Workshop One Day Series – New this year! Get all the content of our 4 day workshops, one day at a time.

August 17-20: Draft Horse Workshops – Technical Skills for Women

October 26-29: Draft Horse Workshop – Original format.

November 5-6: Introduction to Horse powered Logging Skills-Intensive Workshop

November 13: Mower Rebuild Workshop – Hands-on experience covering mower renovation, rebuilding, adjustments and use.

Draft Horse Workshops
    Our workshops focus on building your skills & confidence in harnessing, hitching, driving & horse management. We use a single horse and teams for hands on experience and individual instruction. You will drive from the ground, on a wagon and a forecart. We cover horse management including the basics of safety, handling, foot care, feeding and horse health. We place a lot of emphasis on clear communication through effective use of the drivers hands and voice. Technical driving skill development is achieved with lots of time in the drivers’ seat and one- on- one instruction. Put your hands on the harness to learn about different styles, correct adjustment & fit.

Draft Horse Workshop – Series format
    Content is the same as the Draft Horse Workshop described above, meets every other Saturday for eight weeks. Spring and fall sessions offered. Come to all four or take some in the spring, some in the fall.

Mowing With Horses – Intensive Workshop
    Meets 2-5pm on Firday afternoon to discuss and make adjustments, sharpening and mower setup for several kinds of mowers in preparation for a full day of mowing. On Saturday we will cut a field regardless of the weather. Saturday (8-4) discussions will include technique and theory around opening up the field, preventing and dealing with mechanical issues, topogrophy and various plant species (read milkweed and wiregrass!). Participants will be encouraged to drive the horses/mowers in situations that are appropriate to their experience level. This is not a driving workshop. Prerequisite DHW or instructor permission.

Mower Rebuild Workshop
    Do you want to get the very best results from your horsedrawn mower? Bring it along and we’ll spend a day discussing adjustments, replacement parts and more that will get you maximum cutting from minimal energy input. Instructors Jay Bailey, Mark Cowdrey and Joe Delaney all have extensive experience with mowers and mowing in a variety of circumstances and situations.

Equipment Repair Workshop
    Tired of catching slack from your “other half” about that heap of rust that is sitting out back? Learn the basics of equipment evaluation, maintenance, repair and rebuilding. Maybe (s)he is right, it is just a heap of scrap metal, or maybe it would be a great piece of equpment with a few new parts. We’ll talk about how to figure that out and a lot more, from hints on replacing wooden pieces, measuring for custom fabrication, finding and ordering parts… bring your questions and be prepared to roll up your sleeves.

Introduction to Logging – Intensive Workshop
    Are you dreaming about using your horse(s) to haul firewood and small logs? Learn safe use of chains, peavey & logging arches to maximize your leverage. Use a single horse and team to pull logs to the landing. We will meet from 2-5pm on Friday to begin equipment discussions and experimentation. Participants will be encouraged to drive the horses in situations that are appropriate to their experience level. This is not a driving workshop, we will demonstrate chainsaw use and encourage those interested in learning to use a saw to attend the “Game of Logging” for professional instruction. Prerequisite DH 1 or instructor permission.

Technical Skills for Women
    This workshop covers similar content to the Draft Horse Workshop in a supportive, low pressure atmosphere. Learn to utilize your leverage and the relationship with the horse to maximize your results. With three draft-horse driving women on our farm we have lots of perspective and experience to draw from!

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Bekah, I think that list is really impressive. First, because I think it provides a great number of opportunities to for people to learn much need skills. I wish I knew how to put on those workshops. When I have tried to offer anything like that I haven’t found enough people signing up. I imagine you have worked up to it over many years until people know your farm is the place to look for those things. I hope you all are getting ready for a good season.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.