Fall chores

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    LStone
    Participant

Fortunately cord wood for this season was all set to bring in last spring. We haven’t gotten in much work in the woods this summer because of the heat but the roadwork continued with some pleasure and some paid trips. Of course there was the monthly trips to the grain store / hay man for sustenance. We got in several trips to the transfer station as they were convenient also.

I dropped in my younger gelding on several of the shorter trips and he is doing fine on the pole. With the three horses I have three teams and two of them are better teams than my older gelding and filly. The little guy improves both of my older horses and I think it is from his effort. He isn’t ready for the lead yet but on the off side he works well.

I hope the nice mild weather we have had lately holds because we commence cord wood operations this weekend for next year. I have plenty of trees dropped / blown down, I just have to skid it to the wood yard to process.

J-L
    Participant

I’ve still got a bunch to do myself. We will get on the firewood later in October. Mean time I’ve still got some hay to stack (maybe 100 ton) and about 20 acres left to cut and bale yet. The end is in sight at least. Also have cattle to move down out of the high country by the end of this month. Lot’s of fencing to do and vaccinate calves for their second shot. Also have to slip in a pack trip and some elk hunting by the end of the month too. Guess I’d better get my arse off the computer and get in the hay field.

mitchmaine
    Participant

pull some beans and clean up the gardens. plow and drill some spelt and rye. maybe another few cuts of second cut. and then firewood.
    a couple years ago, we started yarding our wood out to the woodline and maybe into the dooryard. we used to cut and pile down in the woodlot, but having it here gets it into the cellar much faster. we already have two tiers in and piled. i love cut and fit stovewood, piled nice and neat. warms me just looking at it.

LStone
    Participant

Yeah Mitch I think twitching it right into the door yard would eliminate a step but I am working alone in most cases but I don’t have any room for it to sit around for a time until I get it cut up and inside so close to the house. My wood yard relieves a lot of pressure from me so I can work at my own pace as long as I have the room there. I have had tree lengths laying in the wood yard over the winter and I got out there to cut and split early the following spring. The step it adds is to load and bring up a wagon load with the horses so I make out on the deal. Not to mention if it needs extra time to dry outdoors I have the luxury. That way I only have to bring in dry wood.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.