Farm & Forest Equipment Demo

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Equipment Category Equipment Farm & Forest Equipment Demo

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carl Russell

We are in full planning gear for the 2008 Northeast Animal-Power Field Days. During this years event we are hoping to start off on Friday morning Sept. 26 with demonstrations of farming and logging equipment in real application. We may be able to use some land near the Tunbridge Fairgrounds where we will be able to use plows and cultivating equipment in a large corn field, haying and forage harvesting equipment in a hay field, and hopefully also be able to find a small woodlot to work in.

I would like to ask equipment dealers to have demo models available so that we can get extended demonstrations where potential buyers can interface with dealer/manufacturers, and possibly with others who already own and use particular pieces. We may have to rely on folks who already own equipment of certain makes and models in order to get it there.

Some of the benefits of this approach are;
    Teamsters can show how much work can be done, as this is a very common question among folks who are considering animal-power, or equipment and applications.

Equipment will be put to the test in real-life application, so designs can be evaluated.

Dealer/manufactures will have a captive audience of potential buyers.

Some of the questions that come up are;
    Should we make equipment available to teamsters who want to bring animals specifically to try out equipment and application, or do we limit to selected teamsters?

If limited to selected teamsters, do we try to develop a “test drive” opportunity?

Should we put effort into organizing “intensives” around technique and application, or just have a “work day” with organic development of interaction and education?

We are not trying to get up to the scale of Horse Progress Days, but envision this more like a work day using as many different makes and models as possible with informal exhibits. We will open the Fairgrounds in the afternoon where our primary exhibits and workshops will start, while the field and forest demos wind down as people have interest.

I would love some feed-back. Carl

Does’ Leap
    Participant

Carl:

In answer to your questions, I think the equipment demonstrations should be accomplished by staff, equipment manufacturers, or teamsters who are willing to show their equipment. After the demonstration there would be a finite amount of time for a question and answer session before the next demonstration with the opportunity to continue if the spectator were willing to miss the next demonstration. This should accomplish two goals simultaneously in an efficient and timely manor:

• enable would-be teamsters and others to witness the effective use of animal power in conjunction with the latest technology in a variety of settings; and
    • allow current users of animal power to do the same with the opportunity of a more in depth discussion, perhaps even try out of equipment while other demonstrations are going on.

Hope this helps. Thanks for your efforts in putting together the next field days.

George

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Hi Carl, Here is my two cents worth. I have been to the HP days several times and had a great time each time. I think we could do something a little different and be something a little different (partly because they already do what they do.) I would like to see Friday events more like large workshops open to any NEAPFD visitor. Have them be farmer/logger lead and oriented toward what it takes to get the work done, not just the new equipment. Include the new equipment for sure, but also rebuilt and repaired, and include discussion/ questions about how farmers use the animals and equipment to get their work done.
    Are you planning to still show the equipment at the fair grounds, I would as it provides an outlet for those that just want to see the stuff go. This is also important for the equipment dealers to demo to as large a group as possible.
    I like to see everones horses as much as they next guy but I think that is better for a club sized event. For an event of this size I would stick with invited teams. I could be convinced otherwise about that.
    Those are just some first thoughts, let us know if you want more. let us know how we can help. Donn

Carl Russell

I am leaning toward selected teamsters, demonstrating techniques and equipment, thanks for the reinforcement. More please.

We are certainly planning to have staged demos on the fairgrounds on Sat. & Sun, but the real work demos are critical to the substance that we are striving for. Some of it is limited to the pieces that are brought.

I am thinking of different sections of the farm under work by several teams and singles accomplishing work using specifically important equipment (new/used), where spectators can observe.

I like the workshop scenario, but I would love to see a quantity of work being completed. I also want to make accommodation for equipment dealer/makers than want to have their stuff shown off. I think we could have enough room where “intensives” can go on while other teams are just doing the work.

We do have to get a more expensive insurance policy, so I need to figure out the funding of this aspect of the enterprise. We will charge for attendance, but I wonder if this venue would be valuable enough to dealer/makers to pay exhibitor fees? The insurance isn’t the only cost, as we are using people’s land and there will be a fair amount of set up time.I guess the workshop part could bring more value.

Daylight Savings!!!! I’m already late tomorrow, and I haven’t even gone to bed yet. Carl

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Carl, I think it sounds great so far. I would like to bring my Forecart to the hay making area, if that will help. I would need a teamster or team of four abreast (also a baler with flat wagon or haybine would be good) to show it. It is a good example of farm built / local amish welding shop construction. It has a honda engine, foot pedal hyd, three wheels ( no tongue weight, sliding tongue for three and five horse hitches, a four horse neck yoke, and I am in the process of adding hyd brakes. Doesn’t discourage people from a factory built model but may give some options.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.