Feather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    jac
    Participant

Hi . this is just an observation but I notice the use of the word “feathers” on Clydesdales and Shire legs. Over here in Scotland it is only ever refered to in the singular.. feather . The same applies to harness, it is never called harnesses.It is interesting to see the regional and national differences of names for horse items and diseases.

J-L
    Participant

That’s what we call it in Wyoming too jac. Always heard it like this; ‘That horse sure has a lot of feather.’
    It’s always interesting to hear from our overseas friends.

Patrick
    Participant

I’m usually a stickler for proper terminology. For example, it drives me wild when people confuse cattle for cows, or hens for chickens.
    By my way of thinking, in some contexts, the usage of feathers isn’t always wrong. “The feathers on that leg are matted.” I’ve also heard feathering often used in place of feather.

jac
    Participant

Hi Patrick.. Fair comment.I havent heard it that way over here,.. And what about 10 gallon milk cans being called “milk churns”Cheers
    John

Patrick
    Participant

Never heard that one, but then you guys do have bomber chutes, don’t you, so who knows what else you’ll come up with ?!
    A coworker is from Kenya, and we’ve done this comparison before. Can’t even remember half of what he talked about as different from here. Whenever someone has a laugh at his expense, he says that we’re enjoying him. We really enjoyed him last week when someone brought in a whoopie pie, and he asked what it was. He’s got that British composure, and tried very hard at keeping it.

jac
    Participant

Hi Patrick.. Whats a bomb chute?? and come out with us for a few beers and watch the composure go west.:D

near horse
    Participant

To Ireland?

jac
    Participant

not Ireland…Scotland…
    John

Marshall
    Participant

Isn’t Scotland the only British Isle?

jac
    Participant

😀 yes, but England will be alright when they get independence Marshall…
    … Im only kidding before my English friends jump in;)…
    John

Scott G
    Participant

@jac 14717 wrote:

Hi Patrick.. Whats a bomb chute?? and come out with us for a few beers and watch the composure go west.:D

So…, why do Brits refer to things going wrong as “going west” and us Yanks refer to things “going south”??

Inquiring minds want to know….:rolleyes:

jac
    Participant

Hey Scott… Apparantly the saying “go west” became popular in WW1. The Western front generaly ran North/South with the allies facing East. Injured troops went West.. Earlier uses were refering to the hangmans jibot at Tyburn which in the 1700s was west of London.. so a prisoner was “going West” to his death.. The “heading South” that you guys use is becomming popular over here too.. I can only imagine it may have started when the war between the states was on and the northerners perhaps used it to imply that “South” was a less than nice place ??? or mabey its simply because South to us is down.. who knows… I dont want to start an international incident here:D…
    John

Scott G
    Participant

@jac 19610 wrote:

I dont want to start an international incident here:D…
    John

Aww come on, John! Our Federal government is getting really good at that.

The atmosphere on the board has been pretty subdued lately. Maybe a bit of jousting would liven things up a bit!

jac
    Participant

Our lot are just as bad at that nonesense Scott.. BP are stirring it up with you guys now, with that mess they made:(.. and every day they bring a body bag into Briz Norton airfield from Afghanistan… but thru it all, its always boiled back to the USA and Britain wading in to sort other folk out ???..as if our own back yards are spotless… You’re right tho it has been pretty quiet.. I’ll need to think of something to throw in and stand back :D…
    John

near horse
    Participant

@jac 19596 wrote:

not Ireland…Scotland…
    John

I thought Ireland was west of Scotland. But maybe Scotland is west of Scotland – John, you empire builder!

Careful about stirring things up – Uncle Joe over on RH closed down a thread regarding conservative “commentator” Glenn Beck …. you can imagine where it went!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.