Feeding Round Bales

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules Feeding Round Bales

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    J-L
    Participant

I have a new bale unroller that I’ve been using. Thought I’d share some pictures of it in use.

J-L
    Participant

One more of this one in action, then here are a few more of a different rig I’m using on the other side of the place.

J-L
    Participant

Forgot to put the picture in of getting bales off the stack. I thought we had pictures of the hooks I’m using. They are 5/8″ high carbon steel made from a potato digging implement. I use 10′ of chain between the pair of them and just stab them in the bale I need and hook to the cart.
    Then if I need to orient the bales, I just tip them whichever way they need to be using the hooks and the team.
    Thanks to lingodog13 for taking the pictures and the young Percheron in the last series is her good filly Valentine. Thanks again Nonie.

LostFarmer
    Participant

Looking good! I like the looks of the rig in the first set. :rolleyes:

Lingodog aka Nonie, When am I going to see you on the lines of that mare. Get to cracking. 😀

I like seeing real work happen with critters. Well done. LF

Carl Russell

Well done. How heavy are those bales? I like the looks of your new un-roller.
    Carl

DraftDriver
    Participant

That is a really neat way to feed our herd or stock…thank you for sharing that. We feed round bales to save on our square bales right now and because I only have 4 horses, I unwind what I need, roll it up and throw it in the hay holders for the horses…usually takes me 4 trips as I have two hay holders.

Thanks for sharing.

J-L
    Participant

Thanks Carl. The metal framed roller was made for my 800 lb tight core bales, but we have been using it on those 1250 lb bales too. I just used it today behind my little mules. It makes them little buggers pull hard when you hit a flat spot on the bale, but works great.
    The reason we made the metal one was that my fiberglass spears were really hard to get through the tight core bales. I had to drive them through with the butt of my single bit axe. These hard little spikes go right in.

Lingodog13
    Participant

Now Lostfarmer, how can I take a picture of myself with the lines when I’m also the one with the camera?
    What you can’t see in the pictures (because I missed the shot) is the forecart’s wheels leaving the ground as the team pulls that top bale from the stack. Pretty exciting to me, but J-L and the team handled it no sweat. Keep after him to post the missing pictures of the hooks as he should have them by tomorrow.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.