Fence posts for Permanent Deer Fence

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Farming Fence posts for Permanent Deer Fence

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anthony
    Participant

What are folks experiences with using cedar or locust (or other) posts for fencing versus pressure treated in terms of longevity? If the fence is rated for 25 years and the posts decay in 15, how would you go about replacing them?

I’ve heard the newer pressure treated posts do not use CCA. Is anyone familiar with what they do now commonly use and it’s environmental effects?

Is the decay usually at the soil line or below? Or from water above? Has anyone seen the little ‘hats’ some people use attached to the top of the post to shed water, and know where to find them?

thanks
    -Anthony

irish
    Participant

decay is at the soil line generally

Paulk
    Participant

Most post I have seen rotted off was at the ground level or maybe an inch or so below. Every time I set a post I try to make a dome around the post at ground level to make the water run away from the post. I don’t know if the caps help but I have seen people paint the top of the posts to keep water from pooling and soaking in as much. Paulk

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.