Field Days reports

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Can’t wait to hear something about how it all went….
    Thanks,
    Mark

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I for one had a great time. My mission was to talk logging with some folks who are in the know and I learned a ton. Mark you are one of the guys I was hoping to talk with but I guess I will have to add you into a road trip.

Who won the foal raffle?

Jean
    Participant

Leah Haney from Maine won the foal. She is over the moon happy.

What a great couple of days. So many smart people willing to share their knowledge.

I came home with renewed energy to work my horses again.

dominiquer60

Wow where to start.

Thursday was great, we had room for a few more in the intensive workshops, but those that came were treated to learning on some of the finest animals the region has to offer. I think we created a lot of novice teamsters that day, so be on the look out for those that need a mentor, we are all responsible for passing the culture on to the next generation.

This year we had 4 Suffolk horses, 1 Suffolk mule, 4 Brabants, a Standardbred/Belgian, a Belgian/Haflinger, a Fjord, 2 Belgians, 8 Percherons, 2 Holsteins, 2 Holstein/Shorthorns, 1 Blue ox, 3 Milking Shorthorn, 2 Brown Swiss, 2 Randalls and 2 Mini Herefords, it was a wonderful menagerie.

They came from all over this time. Sweden, Alaska, New Brunswick, California, Washington, Georgia, South Carolina, PA, NY, ME, NH, MA, CT, VT and likely a few more States or Providences.

The fairgrounds was nice, good stabling, plenty of room for most demos, the kitchen was fantastic a real professional operation. Mowing and forestry were done at neighboring farms, the plowing was on the grounds and were the most difficult conditions yet.

It was wonderful to have our Plain friends from PA up with their goods and wares. To see and touch a product really gives us a good idea of the quality that they bring to modern horse farming.

There is so much more, but that is a nutshell at the moment.

Oh yes and Leah Haney in Maine won the filly, she was beyond delighted!

Erika

LongViewFarm
    Participant

I had a great time Sat Afternoon and Sunday morning. It was great to see people form all over the region that I don’t always get to connect with. I wish I had been able to be there longer, and especially wish I could have participated in a Thursday elective.
    I’ll try to add some pictures.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

More pictures. They come out with the proper orientation if you click on them.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Mark Cowdrey
    Participant

Looks great. Thanks.

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

For me personally this was one of the greatest experiences I’ve had. I did not travel the furthest but it was still a haul for me to get there from California. I am so grateful to everybody there. I got to meet so many people I have known for years from the forum. It really was such a wonderful gathering of great people. Even through it was a jam packed weekend with two serious travel days bookending the experience, I returned home rejuvenated and refreshed. I am not a very social person but I found it so easy to introduce myself and strike up conversation with so many folks this weekend. It was awesome and I hope to find a way to make back out for the next one.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

It was great meeting you Kevin and I enjoyed the time we had together. I would not label you as “not a very social person” you sure seemed to fit in.

Jared

Kevin Cunningham
    Participant

I have been in plenty of groups of farmers that I have experience in common, but I have never been a part of a group that also shares a passion for animals and draft. The gathering for me was a gathering of true peers and that made it easy to socialize. Most of the time I simply keep to myself as most people just don’t get the life that I have chosen to live. I think that it relates ti what Carl is saying a lot. We are a part of a culture and that includes a live transmission of knowledge. I don’t have a many true peers here in the west but I found a wealth of them 3000 miles away. Luckily we live in the best time in history to start and run a farm. Our access to resources is unprecedented and I for one am glad to have this forum to learn what I can, but I can assure you that I will make more effort to get my boots on the ground with other teamsters to get that direct transmission of knowledge.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.