Finger Weeder

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JaredWoodcock
    Participant

My friend who is an antique dealer sold me a finger weeder. It is 3 rows and about 9 feet wide. It has two broken pieces of wood bolted to it like it may have had shafts or handles. Does anyone know how these were originally setup? I will try to get a picture later.

dominiquer60

A picture would be helpful, there are a number of implements that can be called a finger weeder. In the produce world it is generally a set of self propelled angled spinning wheels with rubber or rubber coated fingers.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Try a Photo

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Photo try #2

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

I cant seem to upload the photos, It is the antique style of “tine weeder” where there are spring tooth style fingers, 3 parallel rows all of which are about 9 ft wide. I know it is used for blind cultivation and to stir in broadcasted seed. I am just wondering how it was rigged to work because the wooden pieces are broken off.
    Here is a link I just found with the same weeder bolted to a cultivator. I dont think this was the original design because they have the same broken wooded bars that dont seem to serve a purpose for them either.
    http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=farmall&th=868231

I have pretty good pictures of mine if I can email them to someone who can post?

Let me know your thoughts on the original setup.

JaredWoodcock
    Participant
    dominiquer60

Sorry about the photo fails, I couldn’t manage either. Tine weeder, rod weeder, rolled rod weeder, so many names for the same thing 🙂

We use one to blind cultivate corn in the spike stage, we use a couple sticks of 1×3 and 2 bolts to attach it to each side of our McCormick Deering straddle row cultivator. They work slick when the weeds are too small to see without getting down close, any larger and it doesn’t do a lot of good.

Enough using yours, it should be an easy pull for one horse.

Erika

JaredWoodcock
    Participant

Thanks Erika, I think I will set it up to the original shaft style for now. I dont actually need it right now but my antique dealer friend needed to move it and I thought it was worth hanging on to.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.