Fjules Progress

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules Fjules Progress

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Hello,

My Fjord Mule sisters (3 and 4) are making great progress. We’ve gotten help from 2 different teamsters to get them to where they are today. We are only into driving for the last 2 years. We subscribe to the rule, green driver + green mules = black and blue.

In the last month, the girls have graduated from being cross tied to a truck or trailer, to dragging a tire behind a forecart, pulling a sleigh, driving a wagon down the road, all the way to discing 5 acres of farm land!

Our teamster friend, Lee, has been working with them and loves them. I’m afraid he won’t want to give them back! He says they’re very strong for their size! Also, they don’t sweat much. He has to watch their breathing to know if he’s overworking them.

I’ve included a link to a gallery of pics I have of the girls!

http://gallery.me.com/heehawhaven#100430&bgcolor=black&view=grid

Most recent pics are at the end.

We can’t wait to see the progress they’ll make this year! We hope to take them logging in the mountains and to some mule shows this summer.

Enjoy!

Dave

J-L
    Participant

The mules are looking real good Dave. Neat pair for sure and it looks like you guys have them coming along fine.

dominiquer60

They sure are gems.

Erika

Jean
    Participant

Sweeeeeeet

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Here are the girls at their first fair. I borrowed this Cob size carriage from a friend. They show at the big Western Idaho Fair this weekend and next week.

Dave

Dave, which fair did you take them to? Good luck at the Western Id Fair, the contestants are wonderful folks.

Your girls are beautiful and that harness is pretty blingy!! 🙂

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

That was the Payette Co. Fair in New Plymouth. They’re doing great for such a young team….. not worried about winning, just learning!

Did they have a good turn out for the long ears driving classes? Looks like they had a nice driving show.
    Just learning is terrific, so much more fun than going there to win everything!! Anyway it is for me.

Dave, let us know how the big Western Idaho Fair goes for you!! I’ve done that one.

PS I had a great drive today with my new driving team…took the camera and got some fun shots of where I love to
    be this time of the year…out in the fields with my boys! http://www.2011teamdonk.wordpress.com has the photos

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

@Demented Donkey Dame 28524 wrote:

Did they have a good turn out for the long ears driving classes? Looks like they had a nice driving show.
    Just learning is terrific, so much more fun than going there to win everything!! Anyway it is for me.

Dave, let us know how the big Western Idaho Fair goes for you!! I’ve done that one.

PS I had a great drive today with my new driving team…took the camera and got some fun shots of where I love to
    be this time of the year…out in the fields with my boys! http://www.2011teamdonk.wordpress.com has the photos

It was basically separated by size, especially because we had the only long ears. It’s not a big show. The girls didn’t stand a chance against the experienced Fjord horse pair. The girls are still learning! The only thing theybdo better than the other team is backing! They will be in the mule show as well as against like sized equines in the light driving show. The donkey/mule show is smaller than it has been in the past.

I’ll check out your pics next!

D

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

The girls got first in Produce of Dam! Driving classes are tomorrow! My first blue ribbon!

That totally rocks Dave, congratulations the first of many I suspect! Good luck on the driving classes!

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

That’s great, man! “Fjules rule!”, ayuh? 😎

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Here’s a couple of videos from this week’s fair in Boise. They ended up with a legitimate 3rd out of 5 in Gambler’s Choice – pony pairs. They would have had a 1st or 2nd in pleasure driving if Valkyrie would have stopped for the judges inspection!

http://gallery.me.com/heehawhaven#100446

Dave

Dave, they did great! Congrats! Hope to meet them if you make it up to Robert’s Plow Day in the Salmon River Country in Oct.
    I have a good friend in MT who has a pair and she does a great job with them. Makes for a very nice mule in my opinion.

PS Robert and I are off to do a three abreast drive this morning before it gets to hot. We are changing the mix, taking out a slow one and putting in a speedster, and will be going into unknown harvested wheat fields. Will take the camera and post pictures later to the blog. We folks from Idaho know how to kick a little ass into gear! Right Dave!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.