Forecart Hydraulics

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    cjejfarm
    Participant

Would like to use a small gas powered engine to power a pump. What would anyone out there suggest?

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

There are really three options for hydraulics. If you have a motor for PTO or other use then adding a hydraulic pump is simple. if not electric with a good battery may be cheaper / easier. I am hopong / planning to build a hydraulic pack that slips onto a cart. It will be battery powered with solar panel. There are also carts that use ground drive to run a pump and a device called a hydraulic acccumulator. Any of these ideas will work, just need to figure out which is best for you. What do you plan to use the hydraulics for?

cjejfarm
    Participant

I’d like to be able to pick up a JD corn planter. Hope to put in 3 to 4 acres of sweet corn this spring with the horses. Trying to be as economical as I can.

fogish
    Participant

The engines used on small backhoes is usually 7-9 hp. Do you have a pump already?

Goranson Farm
    Participant

We built a hydraulic unit for our 510 grain drill this past summer using the 12 volt pump with a 4 way valve (power up power down) off an old dump truck. It is awesome! I highly recommend a valve which gives you the option of down pressure. Its quiet, fast, and requires minimal charging. A solar panel would be ideal but it’s pretty easy to throw a charger on it after a couple days of use. We mounted it vertically on a 2×2 steal post which easily slides in and out of the seat holders of our white horse fore cart.

Donn Hewes
    Keymaster

Carl, when you say you mounted it vertically, is that fluid below the pump or above the pump? Do you have a picture of that? Is the battery attached with clamps or clips? Does it come off separately? I like the solar panel idea too, but might just start this season with the charger. What is the best type of battery and size? I want to raise and lower a rake 20 times? D

Goranson Farm
    Participant

Here is the best pic I could find from this summer. The reservoir is above the pump. The large deep cycle RV/Marine battery is connected via cables. To hold the battery in place I welded up a small holder of 1″ angle iron and bolted it to the floor on the opposite side of the cart. The Battery was secured with a small bungee cord. I thought about making it a single unit but the weight of the pump, reservoir, and battery would have made it a bear to lug around and would have reduced accessibility. The hydraulic cylinder on the drill has a relatively short stroke which is part of why I got away with mounting the pump vertically. I’m not 100% sure if this would work with implements requiring a greater volume of hydraulic fluid. I’m pretty sure you would have enough power to raise and lower a rake 20 times. Wish mine had a float option.

I can’t take credit for the vertical mounting of the pump, Zack Messier dreamed that one up. Makes getting on and off the cart much easier.

Goranson Farm
    Participant

Second try with the picture

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.