Foxfire 2

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

from my last trip I brought a book (always hard to resist antique-bookstores 😀 ; this one was extraordinary to begin with: even books in heaps of boxes on the toilet; sign on the inside door, not to panic when the lock wouldn’t open, good idea to call the front desk on the mobile, for they couldn’t hear the banging and yelling in the back of the store and while one was waiting, one could read a book 😉 ) well anyway this book from their’s proves to be a gem
    Foxfire 2
    subtitle: ghoststories, spring wild plant foods, spinning and weaving, midwifing, burial customs, corn shuckin’s, wagon making and more affairs of plain living
    Anchor Press 1973
    ISBN: 0-385-02267-0
    got it in the first place ’cause of an article on how to make an ox-yoke
    but there’s a whole lot more of good stories in it as far as oral history goes

ps.: yes I did get stuck on that toilet……

Carl Russell

I have the series up to number 9. A treasure trove of rural knowledge. Good find.

Carl

lancek
    Participant

Yea that was required reading at Sterling and when my kids got old enough I had them read it too it was a great way for them to learn history!

pauljdeveau
    Participant

The Foxfire series were a wonderful series and preserved a base of knowledge that might otherwise have been lost to us forever.

It’s too bad this marvelous project was marred by the Author’s (Eliott Wiggington) conviction for sexually molesting the very students he was supposed to be helping.

Paul Deveau

Robernson
    Participant

Between me and my Grandfather we hve the complete original set. They are very good books,and they are printing them again.

http://www.foxfire.org/thefoxfirebookseries.aspx

~~R

FarmerPhil
    Participant

It was over 30 years ago when I was introduced to the Foxfire Series. I got hooked on the concept and now, so many years later, a team of individuals and I are launching a 501c3 non-profit to continue the effort of assisting those individuals who possess the knowledge, skills, and practice disciplines needed to cultivate a community of interest around an endangered or lost art. We are calling our organization, “The Lost Arts Collaborative”. Our farm name (in Still River, MA) is Captain Pollard’s Flintlock Farm. We look forward to promoting your art and look toward to future with excitment on educating others and promotion of your demonstrations of DAP or other lost or endangered arts.

Right now we are hoping to leverage the DVD, The Farmer and the Horse in our educational efforts. If you have any good photos that we could use to educate children or the general public please contact us.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.