Friesian MULE? WHAT SO YOU THINK OF THIS IDEA?

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Draft Animal Power Mules Friesian MULE? WHAT SO YOU THINK OF THIS IDEA?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    manesntails
    Participant

I was reading a thread on another forum about Friesians being a fad, or not. I thought, well, wouldn’t it be cool to have a Friesian mule! Friesians have those long gorgeous manes and tails, feathering on their legs, highstepping trotting gaits and they are quite friendly, laidback and docile………….NOT TO MENTION, they are BLACK!!!

I have also heard that the Friesian registry is very strict about who they allow stallions to breed to and if they breed to unapproved mares they loose their status……..somehow. I’m not up on the reasons for that or what status changes would happen. Maybe their subsequent foals could not be registered. Seems foolish to me for that to happen. Anywho, what do you all think about it.

Would you want a Friesian mule?
    I think a Friesian Hinney, if you could find a Jenny who takes well with Stallions, would be exceptionally COOL. 🙂

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Well, it could be kind of cool… if the mule ended up with the long mane of the Friesian, but stiff, like the donkey = a mohawk mane!! 😮 (You’d just about hafta name it ‘Spike’) 😎

Mano
    Participant

@manesntails 5979 wrote:

Would you want a Friesian mule?
    …….would be exceptionally COOL. 🙂

i prefer to buy the animal, and not the color, and with good luck, it is the right color 🙂

manesntails
    Participant

Well, It’s not just the color. Although black is a hard to get color in a mule. I would love to have my mule have feathering and a long, at least horse length and hanging over, mane and long full tail.

Also, the gait of the Friesian has alot of action in front which would make a nice driving or dressage mule. They also have pretty docile temperments.

I was wondering if others thought it might make a nice mule.

manesntails
    Participant

@Robert MoonShadow 5982 wrote:

Well, it could be kind of cool… if the mule ended up with the long mane of the Friesian, but stiff, like the donkey = a mohawk mane!! 😮 (You’d just about hafta name it ‘Spike’) 😎

LMAO! Add a little mousse and you could have a punk rock mule for costume class.!! 😀

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Well,

As you know, the Fjord registry is really strict too and I have 2 Fjord mules. It can happen, just find someone with a quality mare that’s willing.

I think it would be a great combination!

Dave

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Dave; I didn’t know that about the Fjord registry being so tight… you’re such an outlaw!! How are those two good-looking Fjules doing in their training, anyways? Combine your Fjules w/ Manes’ two Frules in a four-up…!!! 😎

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Could use some better weather to work with them more. We may tie their lead ropes to the wagon today and give them a workout.

Don’t think we haven’t thought of doing a unicorn hitch with Duke up front and the fjord mules behind!

What is a frule anyway? I know a fjule is our nickname for a fjord mule…..:)

Robert MoonShadow
    Participant

Simple, really, since it’s based off of your idea –> FJord + mUlE = FLULE
    FRiesian + mULE = FRULE.
    Good thing that mules can’t breed, or we’d get a lot more politicians: Fjules + frULES = FULES {FOOLS} :rolleyes:
    If you hook them to the front of the wagon, they’d probably get a better workout.

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

Duh…..

I’m not ready for the drama of seeing them in front yet! We’ll condition them in the back first. Work with them on the ground and in due time……

They’re a bit squirrelly right now. The weather is cool and they feel really full of themselves!

Come on down and you give them a try!:D

HeeHawHaven
    Participant

I understand their need to keep the bloodlines, but this doesn’t make sense with making a mule since the resulting offspring would be sterile. This does nothing to upset the bloodlines. It may even bring more attention to the breed. What I do understand is the economy of these choices. The prices I’ve seen for Friesian colt/phillies is still quite high. Registered Fjords are high priced too. On the other hand, non-registered fjords are not too costly and are sometimes downright cheap; look at Duke. He won’t win any Fjord shows, but he’s a great one!

I think it’s also a prejudice against mules in general. We mule people run into it all the time. We hear “those things can’t run, they can’t pull, they kick, they sit down, etc…” Our neighbor stopped by today while we were driving and said “Oh, you’ll be riding that from now on won’t you?” He thinks I’ll stop riding mules now that I have a horse.

I like what someone else said on another thread. I like what I like, I like what makes me happy, I like what works for me. For me, if mules were good enough for Salomon and David, they’re good enough for me!

Dave

J-L
    Participant

I’d really like to see one.

manesntails
    Participant

@Joel 6018 wrote:

I doubt you will find any Friesian mare with decent conformation to breed a jack to unless you purchase her yourself & then you had better lie about your plans for the mare because I’m thinking they will not sell you the mare.

The feather & luxurious tail are lost when breeding a heavy boned mare to a jack. Look at Belgian or Clydesdale mules.

One better be a top notch mule person to work fjord mules as the fjord breed has alot of mule-like characteristics already.

The reason the Fjord & Friesian registeries are so strict is these breeds have been purebred for around 2000 yr.

I Kn00000000-ow! This is why I thought it would be cheaper to AI a jenny who was a proven Hinney producer. One who got pregnant already by a stallion.
    That too would peobably be hard to find but I doubt, as expensive as buying your own Friesian mare. The cheapest I’ve seen for one is 5,ooo and it didn’t have excellent confo but was not misshapen in any way nor did it have any outstandingly bad flaw, just not really balance.

I’d have to call it Frieule:D

Debra
    Participant

Sounds like a great combo. I would like to have one. When do we get started?

Anonymous
    Inactive

@HeeHawHaven 6017 wrote:

Duh…..

I’m not ready for the drama of seeing them in front yet! We’ll condition them in the back first. Work with them on the ground and in due time……

They’re a bit squirrelly right now. The weather is cool and they feel really full of themselves!

Come on down and you give them a try!:D

Hmmm, “bit squirrelly” when we own them; “nut cases” when owned by others!
    Hope they are doing well! Pictures soon, I hope!!
    Joe (Ak)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.