Game of Logging Training in Feb and Mar

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Community of Interest Education Game of Logging Training in Feb and Mar

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    LongViewFarm
    Participant

John Haney (Hopewell Farm) and I are about 90% sure that we are going to host a series of “Game of Logging” courses at my facility in Charlestown, NH this spring. If you’ve never heard of Game of Logging, it is a wonderful way to improve your skills in the woods. Instruction and curriculum are provided by the folks at Northeast Woodland Training, having been originally developed by Sorekn Eriksson in Sweden. The NWT website is here, with complete course descriptions: http://www.woodlandtraining.com/ More info here: http://www.gameoflogging.com/

Levels 1& 2 of the course are intended for everyone from the new beginner to those with substantial experience. Instructors are very good at dealing with different ability levels.

Levels 3&4 are more advanced, requiring newbie cutters to practice level 1&2 skills before advancing. For those with more woodland experience, these levels discuss topics like problem trees, job layout, and advanced felling techniques.

We plan to host Levels 1&2 on Feb 16-17 with a cost of $125 per day, $250 for both. Local lodging is available. Meals may be available if there’s interest.

We plan to host levels 3&4 in March at the same rate, with the same lodging and potential meals options.

My questions are: 1) Who’s interested in attending? 2)What level(s) would you like to attend? 3)If you’d like to attend levels 3&4, which March weekend is best for you?

There really is something in this class for everyone. If this generates enough interest I’ll pass along info on registering and sending in course fees.

Please spread the word among your non-DAPnet friends.
    Thanks!
    Jay

Carl Russell

Jay, I will forward this on to a young man who has been in contact with me looking for GOL training. He’s also looking to get more experienced with horse-logging, so I think he would be very interested in this offering.

Thanks for putting this on, Carl

Scott G
    Participant

Kudos Jay for sponsoring this. Great training program that folks should take advantage of whenever they have the opportunity.
    -S

Anonymous
    Inactive

One other bit of information to keep in mind is that the courses build off each other, therefore they must be taken sequentially regardless of previous experience, i.e. you can’t take level III until levels I and II have been completed. As Jay indicated it would be great if we have enough interest to offer all four levels this spring.

horsemedic47
    Participant

I am definitely interested in taking all 4 course levels.

LongViewFarm
    Participant

Horsemedic, you’ve got a PM.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have attached a PDf of the form that can be used to sign up for the upcoming Game of Logging courses being held at Jay’s Farm. Please feel free to email me with any questions that may not be answered by the form.

There has been a fair amount of interest in these classes since being posted on the Northeast Woodland Training, Inc. website. I would like the folks associated with DAPnet to be able to take advantage of the lower cost of our class. If you are interested please don’t delay in getting me your information.

Thanks,

John

I have attached a liability waiver form for the classes as well. Let Jay or myself know if you have any questions.

John

horsemedic47
    Participant

Sent you a pm Longview farm

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just to let folks know, the Level 1 and 2 classes are filling quickly. Please don’t miss out on an opportunity to take advantage of these classes being offered well below the normal going rate.

Please feel free to contact me or Jay with any questions.

John

LongViewFarm
    Participant

I ran into a “problem tree” Friday as I was preparing the site for our class. I might have left it up for the level 3 group to discuss, but I didn’t want it to be in the way this weekend.

What do you all do when you encounter grape vine in the canopy where you are cutting? I thought I was working far enough away from the main clump of vine, but one 8″ diameter tree ended up hung by a single tiny vine about 40′ off the forest floor. Looking closer it turns out that this vine had traveled a large distance through the canopy. There was lots of light crown contact in this group of hardwoods, but again I thought I was working far enough away to not involve the vine.

I ended up with this 8″ diameter ash hung up by a small piece of vine connected to two smaller trees and then to the main clump of vine 20-30′ away in the top of a dead pine and associated sugar maple. What would you do in this situation? I know it depends a lot on the specifics of the spot, but I hope you;ll share general ideas on how to deal with vine. I got out OK, all trees down, vine down, equipment and personell intact. I’ll give more details later, but I’d like to know…

How do you deal with vine?

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

I have not had to deal with vines much, sounds like a case where I would just pull it down. That is a case where it would be nice to have a monkey that knows how to work a hatchet. Give him a hard hat and tool belt and stand back.

Does’ Leap
    Participant

I would cut the tree from the stump and pull it down (along with the vines) with the horses. A small tree like that should come down easily. Larger trees I try to keep on the stump with the fibres severed all the way through to prevent the plowing effect of the but in the ground. There is a good thread here on pulling down larger hung up trees. A block and tackle also comes in handy with larger stems.

George

Carl Russell

@Tim Harrigan 39916 wrote:

……That is a case where it would be nice to have a monkey that knows how to work a hatchet. Give him a hard hat and tool belt and stand back.

Now we’re thinkin’…..

Sometimes these vines can be much stringer than they look. Generally the small trees don’t have enough weight, and it can be virtually impossible to pull them down. Pulling them down can be very dangerous, because the hinge point is so high in the air. If the vine doesn’t let go the tree can lift the evener, or even cart way up off the ground in a hurry….

If I didn’t have a team with me, I would probably cut it down in blocks……. until the remainder hung in the air……. then I would probably keep dropping trees on it until I knocked it down….. or made a bigger mess. Sometimes you’re just working by the seat of your pants out there….

Carl

near horse
    Participant

Time for the potato cannon! (or one of those throwing dummies the arborists use but dang the spud cannon is fun, effective and nutritious). And I’ll be danged if I can find a hard hat to fit my monkey!

So – Attach line to spud. Shoot over vine. Pull heavier line up and over. Then either yank that MFer down (method of your choice may or may not include horses). If really stout – pull a section of that wire saw material up there and work it from the ground.

Oh, Perhaps I’ve watched too much Axe Men!

Does’ Leap
    Participant

@Carl Russell 39922 wrote:

Now we’re thinkin’…..

Pulling them down can be very dangerous, because the hinge point is so high in the air. If the vine doesn’t let go the tree can lift the evener, or even cart way up off the ground in a hurry….

Carl

Based on Carl’s comments, you could attach a block and tackle to a nearby tree. That way you would lower the hinge point and avoid lifting your evener/cart. But Geoff’s suggestions seems much more fun :).

George

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.