Geothermal Heating/cooling systems

DAPNET Forums Archive Forums Sustainable Living and Land use Sustainable Energy Geothermal Heating/cooling systems

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I am reserching hard the possible installation of a geothermal HVAC system for my home. Of the alternative energy systems this seems to be a good one for me. Since I think many of the people on this forum use other than oil systems does anyone use geothermal. I know its expensive up front but I would like to know if anyone that has installed this type of system has had any unforseen problems or been disappointed in its performance. Thanks

Gabe Ayers
    Keymaster

Fred,

What does HVAC stand for?

I live in a old timey geothermal passive solar home, which I think back in the eighties meant half underground and insulated from the outside or what they called ecto-insulated at the time. It is a combination of earth contact on a portion of the floor, but the walls insulated. We put a series of plastic pipe (4 inch diameter) in the floor and connected it all to a one foot square column that goes to the top of the ceiling in the house and allows for cool air to be pumped into the top of the house for cooling and warm air to be pumped into the bottom for heating.

Maybe there is a better way and system now, we seldom use this as the home is comfortable passively without any active assistance requiring electric fans.

Educate us a little more Fred. Thanks for sharing this exploration in better building and living.

Al Gore says we have ten years to change….if he is as wrong about that as his climate change predictions we may really be in trouble.

Carl Russell

We also installed 200′ of Elephant Trunk piping under the basement floor when we built, and connected it to air distribution system. We can pull warm air from the loft into the basement floor, or reverse. I also installed outlets that will be connected to a masonry heater, and a solar green house, both for convective heating which will create a thermo-siphon to circulate air without fans. Right now with limited off-grid power we run fan as little as possible, so the system doesn’t get much use.

I have a friend in South Woodstock who installed a much more elaborate system using 12″ pipe in sand under the foundation including a computerized zonal control. She uses it in combination with passive solar and wood the heat a very nice “South Woodstock” home without any petroleum back-up. She can leave the house in winter for extended periods and has no worries. The only requirement is a propane generator in case power goes out, ans the system won’t work without the computer. Costly to install, but very cost effective in the long run. I’m not sure about retro-fitting an old farm house.

Another person is Henry Swayze in Tunbridge, who has built his home somewhat similar to what Jason describes. I’m not sure of all the details, but he is in charge of The First Branch Sustainability Project in Tunbridge, Vt. I may be able the get more contact info soon. Carl

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the input. What I am looking at is a very modern up to date system that should take me to my end of time. Hopefully still a ways away.
    Jason, HVAC stands for heating, ventilation & air conditioning. The basics of the system I am looking at involve drilling a series of 50ft to 100 ft holes, about 2″ in diameter, running pipe into those drill holes, connecting those pipes to a distribution box underground than runing a pipe into my basement to a heat pump. This system would use my existing ductwork from my current oilfired hot air furnace. The heat pump will provide my heat, air conditioning and most of my hot water needs. Coupled with some other energy saving projects and a survey from my electric utility I should qualify for an electric rate about 40% lower than what I am paying now providing even more savings than just that from not having to by fuel oil at $4.799. Right now based on todays numbers I expect a payback of about 7 years conservatively and the more oil goes up the faster the payback. If anyone else has experience in these systems I’d love to hear your experience.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’d like to add one other thing. While payback is important to me, so is getting off the oil wagon. I’m sick of being held hostage. Thanks

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.