German Working Cattle Group website

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    clayfoot-sandyman
    Participant

Look what my German friend found for me…….the German Working Cattle Group website – in English!

http://www.zugrinder.de/eng/eng_index.html

If you click on where it says ‘working cattle in germany’ and then go through the different regions there’s lots of photo’s of peoples projects (‘photo’ is written as ‘bild’, click where you see this – and some have links to their web-sites). I found it really interesting to see so many cattle in 3 pad collars.

Hope you find it useful, Ed

Hope you find it useful

me too, πŸ˜€
    we had a lot of helpers getting this online!
    if there are any questions, feel free to ask!

clayfoot-sandyman
    Participant

@CharlyBonifaz 22262 wrote:

if there are any questions, feel free to ask!

OK great! – I somehow didn’t connect that you’re in Germany Charly….Been trying to find out about 3 pad collars, makers/users, fitting them etc for ages but to no avail……could you help?????

Been trying to find out about 3 pad collars, makers/users, fitting them etc for ages but to no avail……could you help?

let me try
    makers: very few still know how to make a 3-pad-collar, I’m lucky in so far that -after 4 years- I have found a retired saddlemaker that still knows how one is made (and used!)
    most of us use old collars that we “restore” or use still good parts to combine to one in working condition
    if you have anybody experienced with leatherwork near by, the book written by Rolf Minhorst “Modernes Geschirr fΓΌr Rinder” contains blueprints for various sizes
    fitting them ist another story: I claim that especially with young animals and only minor developed muscles (shoulder/neckmuscles) the 3-pad-collar hangs on them like a wet towel; once they have grown and gotten some shape πŸ˜‰ it is easier, because it rests were it belongs and you can always adjust the collar so it can function properly as the animal changes; the seat of the shoulder pad should be on the front end of the shoulder above the shoulder joint; you can raise/lower the sides by shortening/extending the leatherstrip that also holds the third pad on the neck; if the 3-pad-collar needs to be adjusted to broader/more slender necks you can do this at the upmost leatherbelt/chain and accordingly at the leatherbelt/chain on the low end. Take care, that the upper corners of the shoulderpads don’t rub the skin.
    Traces have to start a lot higher than in horsecollars, about half way up on the shoulder; if too low, the 3-pad-collar will put pressure on the shoulder joint, no, not desirable
    in my eyes it is a very elegant method to get draftpower transfered; it follows the shoulder movements in all directions/dimensions and and the same time provides complete liberty of action for head, neck and shoulders
    here comes the bad news: with all the possibilities to be adjusted, there are weak points were it can (and will) break under heavy use/load; an oldtimer also told me he hated to use it in the woods, the lower ends continuously got entangled in brush and roots because the animals will get down low if they have to pull hard; more bad news? the 3-pad-collar wants to be tended: leather needs to be cleaned/oiled, it needs to be stored in a dry place, etc.

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Elke, what is the general opinion of the German ox drovers regarding the North American style neck yokes? Our sense is it is very comfortable, durable and functional as long as it fits correctly. But I could see that if the expectation for animal comfort was a 3-pad collar and they were not familiar with the North Americal yoke they might be concerned about it.

@Tim Harrigan 22292 wrote:

what is the general opinion of the German ox drovers regarding the North American style neck yokes?

if not really into it, many of them won’t have heard about it as far as the neck yoke is concerned; speaking for myself (not that I have any practical experience with it – I rely on other drovers telling me about it) I can see the advantages in some points and always claim, as in cars you use what you deem fit for the job that needs to be done;

Our sense is it is very comfortable, durable and functional as long as it fits correctly.

I can underwrite this statement immediately, I simply see it as a different way to obtain the same result; all of the various devices in use need to fit the animal and you need to know how to utilize the different systems in order to gain maximum results

ps.: my ox (single) has worked in a front head yoke, in a withers yoke and in a 3-pad-harness; his choice would be the latter (by judging how he moves in them), as I mentioned, both of us have no experience with a bow(neck)yoke

pss.: I will also misuse the 3-pad-collar without hesitation 😎

[IMG]cimg0648.th.jpg

Tim Harrigan
    Participant

Do you have a frame for that backpack? What do you use it for? Do you pack and pull loads at the same time?

Do you have a frame for that backpack?

frame like saddle? a swedish product, as in here:
    http://www.cmsadelmakeri.se/produkter/packsadlar-665198

What do you use it for?

in this case hay, for a fun outing; in the long run, I plan to have 2 baskets there and go for corn ears, berries, wood, etc. just to keep him and myself “busy”; another idea was to treck with tourists….

Do you pack and pull loads at the same time?

ey, you’re giving me ideas πŸ˜€

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

Ed: I have a 3pad harness that anne witalfsky sent to me; find it very good indeed. It’s currently broken (old leather, it’s an antique) but a guy in newcastle is fixing it for me. I could ask if he could take what measurements he needs and he could make you a couple of replicas? It only fits a BIG animal though, Ang is enormous but it’s tightened as much as it goes on him as it is, yours may need to grow into it.

clayfoot-sandyman
    Participant

Thanks Nat, I would love to have a look at it when I come to visit you….YES I will get there when I’m up North next if it fits in with you…..:rolleyes:

By the way, had a chap come to do my cattle’s feet today who lives over in Shropshire. It’s the first time I’ve used him and turns out he’s from New York State originally and has done some work with oxen AND knows how to shoe an ox….there can’t be many if any other people in the UK who know how to shoe an ox??
    He really loved seeing my 2 little steers (although I’m not sure that they’d say the same about him!!!)

Hope you’re having as much fun as me carrying water endlessly with this cold snap, each cold winter that we have convinces me just a bit more that I really should lag my pipes! You must be up to your knees in snow?!

Cheers, Ed

Nat(wasIxy)
    Participant

I’d think he’d be the *only* person in the uk who knows – covet him, we might need him πŸ˜‰ Although I’ve managed fine without shoes so far as we rarely work on a hard surface.

Yes, snow up to our knees and ferrying buckets all day – it always catches us out!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.